Thread: Old Asian (possibly Japanese?) standing lamp (possible old bed post?) hand painted.

Question Old Asian (possibly Japanese?) standing lamp (possible old bed post?) hand painted.

I realize it might be a long shot, but I thought it would be worth inquiring online to see if anyone has come across something similar. As a novice furniture repairman, I have a family heirloom that has been passed down for over 70 years. My mother inherited it from her mother, who in turn inherited it from her own mother. None of them know its origin. The piece is hand-painted, with its craftsmanship evident, but the base is in poor condition.

Having received it as a gift from my mother, I want to ensure it's suitable for a beginner like myself to undertake repairs. I invite you to take a look. The piece bears no discernible markings other than the kanji, for example, there are no visible maker's marks on the base or anything of that nature, which is not surprising. It seems someone attempted to repair the base long ago, but the result was less than ideal. The very bottom appears to have been sanded at some point in the past.

My great-grandfather served in Japan during WW1 and was known to bring back various items from his travels. It's possible that this piece was among those souvenirs. Here is a link too a gallery I have assembled for the piece.

Any help at all would be appreciated.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20230416_182246598.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	187.2 KB 
ID:	15538