Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New H&M leathers from the Market

Default Re: New H&M leathers from the Market

32" is WAY better. Everything in the H&M line will go through a 36" doorway or they re-engineer it so it will. 85 % of the line will clear a 34" doorway. I think the Lena will probably will clear a 32" opening, but it will still be tight.

Its interesting - you really can't get a feel for an operation until you spend some time among the production facility. Just taking a walk-around speaks volumes about what they make and the morale of the employees. A happy crew that feels they are paid decent for their work ALWAYS make a better product. Those that have poor working conditions or feel put upon only do enough to get by.

Years ago I was the largest dealer in country for D.R. Dimes and Company, a New Hampshire chair company that specialized in high style country furniture. I sold a lot of their product and would drive there to pick it up in my Frightliner. It was not a happy place for the workers, they were in terror of "Mr. Dimes" who ran the place on bells timed to the second. A bell rang to start work, a bell rang for break. One for lunch and one to return. At the end of the day, the quitting bell rang and everyone left THAT SECOND. Even if they were helping me load a truck, they would quit immediately and walk away...the place cleared out within 2 minutes of the final bell. One time I was walking back with Mr. Dimes to see a new piece in the back of the shop and we came up to a worker who had peed his pants at his station, it was quite obvious. Mr. Dimes asked him why he did that, and the worker responded that he was afraid to go to the bathroom because the break bell had not yet rung and he couldn't hold it. They built quality pieces because they had to or be instantly fired, but there was never one ounce of effort to do more than required.

At H&M, as you saw, the atmosphere is quite different. Everyone there knows they are part of the team, and they strive to make things as good as they can be. Nothing made by man is perfect, but they try harder than any other maker I've seen. Jimmy even keeps a full time nurse on staff and a medical room in the middle of the main plant. Any worker can go see her any time, for any reason - if nothing more then to get a splinter removed or an allergy shot - all at no charge. He doesn't have to do it, he does it because he cares for his employees. You will also find entire families working there at H&M, its a coveted job. You got to meet Gloria (and SHE is the one that makes things happen when we are in a crunch on an order. Gloria is my 'go-to' pal on tough jobs), and her daughter Tonya runs the Website and does all the advertising. Tonya graduated right at the top of her class at UNC, Chapel Hill and could have gone anywhere - but she wanted to work at H&M. Then there's Pam in Customer Service who is THE MACHINE. Pam knows more about Hancock and Moore than anyone there, I think. Pam's husband works in the plant as well, and does a lot of custom things needed. There are several families there at H&M and no turnover to speak of. Also, you won't find middle management there or fancy offices. Jack, Jimmy and Tim are the owners, and that's the management staff. Pretty impressive when you think they own H&M, Jessica Charles, Councill and most of Taylor King. All could have retired long ago on the profits, but they love their job. I call down there on Holidays and get Jack on the phone all the time...H&M is his baby, and he loves the business. He's also the smartest man in the industry that I've ever met. I like H&M because they run their company the way I like to run my store - we have common ground in our operating philosophy.

I have four or five Jessica Charles chairs on the floor, though I can't recall the models right this minute (at home replying). Jack bought that company a few years back when the owner retired and they build at separate location, but share the same leathers/fabrics/customer service Dept and quality in build.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

I missed these posts last month - well worth reading and makes me proud of American workers and businesses.

Chad Champlin Guest

Hi Duane,

I thought I would post here so other readers could benefit. As you know, I've narrowed down our leather choices at this point to Bari and Berkshire.

I'm interested to learn more about Portfino (may be Portfolio) and Dream. What characteristics might they share with Bari and Berkshire?

Sheen or Matte Finish?
    Grain Texture?
    Monochromatic or color variation?
    Feel?
    Etc?

What are the names of the "browns" available in each?

These may be two leathers that I'd be interested in ordering without seeing swatches. Not only do my local dealers not have swatches, they haven't even heard of these new leathers

Thanks

Hi Chad,

The other dealers don't know about these because they didn't go to the October Market and H&M hasn't sent out swatches yet. I do have a set in the store (perks of being a large dealer) but most will not even know of them.

They are both finished leathers, and class 2. Portofino has a pebbled texture to it but not as pronounced as Berkshire. I liked it at market, and have a red Sundance sofa in my truck at the store all ready for the display floor but have to room to bring it inside!

Sheen is a high Matte.
    Grain texture on Portfino, not so much on Dream.
    Both appear to have slight color toning/variation to them, but not much
    Dream is very soft, Portfino slightlyless.

Good hides, I like them both for GR2 finished leathers. (have to get the names of the colors tomorrow)
    Duane Collie

bellrom Guest

Duane,

I really like the Kipling Whiskey but I want a protected leather.

I got a swatch of Luggage Saddle and liked it (not as much as Whiskey), and was wondering it has alot of mottling? The picture on the H&M website looks like it but the swatch I saw almost looked like a "brown" version of Kipling Whiskey.

Are there any other leathers similar to the kipling that are protected with the same look and feel and our protected?

Would any of the new leathers meet my criteria?

Thanks.

You might be surprised at how tough Kipling Whiskey is. I have it on my # 1044 Sadler Recliner at home and have yet to get the first stain or any sort of damage on it, nor do I expect to as it ages. H&M tends to be VERY conservative on ratings because they don't want that phone call where someone spills a quart of 10w40 on the hide and now its ruined - and they want a free replacement. The best thing to do if you have a swatch at home is take in in the kitchen and put stuff on it that you would anticipate might ever get on the leather. See what soaks in and what doesn't. If you pull enough chemicals out from under the sink, you'll eventually find something that will soak in, but then how often do you spill bleach or ammonia on your high-dollar leather? Don't worry about marking up a sample, they're free to the dealers and if one gets trashed in your kitchen experiments its easily replaced.

Luggage is a German leather that has been in the line a long time. Its price grade 3, has a tough service duty rating, and repels most anything. Its a handsome leather, that is beautifully tanned and has interesting special effects that look natural rather then the artificial effects on a leather like Document. If you go to the H&M website and look up the SETTLEMENT sofa, that's Luggage Meersham and gives you a good idea of what it looks like upholstered.

If you really want a fully protected hide, the two best in the line are Luggage and Antelope, by a fairly wide margin. After that, I tend to like Aspen as the best of the fully protected in a price grade 2.

Portofino will be fully protected, and so will Dream, both grade 2 hides in the new leathers. These are not yet dealer- swatched, though I have some samples in my store.
    Duane Collie

SemperFiMom Guest

Duane gives great advice here. I had swatches of leathers from many H & M Class II and Class III lines, needed a leather that could withstand small pets and the occasional spills. Duane encouraged me to put as many substances on the swatches as possible. I did that (including tortilla soup). The Kipling whiskey leather was amazing, and would have been my 1st choice but it didn't work with the interior colors of our family room. I am determined to have a chair made from that leather and place it in our master bedroom. Rich, beautiful leather. Withstood scratches from my nails and tortilla soup base (lots of grease).

After much deliberation, settled on (with Duane's help): Sundance Sofa 84"/Chair/Ottoman, Luggage Russett, Class III. Also, a few upgrades to the nails and added some additional 18" pillows in upgraded leather/suede.

Dealing with Duane up to this point has been much more pleasant than my local shopping experience (5 high end stores). And I live in a major metro area in the Southwest.

Will update with pix and final review in April/May when I receive the furniture. Up to this point, the experience has been very pleasant, and Duane provided much needed insight and guidance. Thanks, Duane!