Thread: Power Motion Sectionals

Default Power Motion Sectionals

Here's something few people know.... when you make a power reclining sectional, the motion part will work best when it's fastened to a stationary adjoining piece. It likes to have rigid support on both sides. Lately though, customers have been asking for the unit adjacent to the recliner to be power reclining as well. Now you have two recliners together and lose that rigid connect. Since so many have asked, the suppliers have started making these. I caution people when they tell me this is what they want, and tell them to expect some gapping issues and for it not to feel very solid, I have lower confidence in this arrangement.

Plus, another thing most people don't know (dealers and customers alike) is most suppliers do NOT test fit these before shipping them. On the production line, Joe is doing the RAF Power piece, while Bob is working on the Armless unit, and Alex is making the Quarter Round at the plant across town. They box them all up individually and ship them out. We get surprises when we open them up and deliver to the customer. Alignment issues, height variations, the whole deal. These customer-supplied photos illustrate this issue (these are not of Hancock and Moore product, but from another maker).

This topic came up last week when i was talking to Brian Craft, the Motion Plant Manager for Hancock and Moore. I have a client that wants that combo as described above and I wanted to chat with him to make sure we can build this $ 20,000 unit without flex or fitment issues. Brian assured me he could and theirs will not wiggle and flex, he will make sure of it. I know from working with Brian for the past 15 years his word is bond, he will make sure. And he added " you know we actually test assemble every single sectional before it ships to make sure it fits to spec", and I said "Really? No one else does", and he said "I know they don't, but we are Hancock and Moore, we have to make sure it's right"

That was just what I wanted to hear. Now I can sell that sectional knowing it will be done as we all expect it to be. Yes, you pay more for a Hancock and Moore, but this is one of the reasons you do, they turn out a superior product.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BY uneven.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	189.9 KB 
ID:	15571Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BY uneven2.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	218.0 KB 
ID:	15572Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BY uneven3.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	177.2 KB 
ID:	15573
    Last edited by drcollie; 05-11-2023 at 12:00 PM.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.