Thread: Sofa selection for formal living room

Default Sofa selection for formal living room

Hello all,

I’m looking to replace our living room sofa. These are the pieces I’m considering:

- Carmen
    - Henessey
    - Rita
    - Tavern (5592)

We also plan to get rid of the two striped chairs. We don’t plan to replace them at this time. We have a wooden rocking chair with cloth seat and back we’d like to include in the layout.

I noticed several people like the Tavern sofa. Does anyone have any of the others we are considering?

Here are a few photos of the living room.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5A3E6092-C928-4321-9DBD-15DDA5E1C0E3.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	174.5 KB 
ID:	15576Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8D8EC522-DCB2-4CCD-BB63-C64F7617DD9A.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	145.5 KB 
ID:	15577Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FECC61CF-5B6B-499B-B32D-71DC0280F5D6.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	178.0 KB 
ID:	15578Click image for larger version. 

Name:	D207892A-3D9A-47BF-8D82-9807A9730F8A.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	199.0 KB 
ID:	15579Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7B00D322-EDE4-4840-81E1-EEFDE17EA740.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	179.8 KB 
ID:	15580

Default Re: Sofa selection for formal living room

OK! Quick Review….

There are some significant size variations between the sofas you are looking at.

Hennessy is the most dramatic and carries the largest presence of those four, by far. It’s a favorite of mine, but will also make you have to replace your end tables at the very least, those do not go with it.

Carmen is a wonderful sofa, one I have not sold in awhile. Smaller scale somewhat, but its designed to float in a room, so I would pass for that position.

Rita is OK, just not very inspiring.

Tavern is probably the best one to dovetail into the room with minimal change to the surrounding pieces. The button tufted seat model is much more handsome than the cushion model.

No matter what you select, that stereo on the cabinet in front of the window has to go. That’s college-level decorating! I know, your husband wants it there, right? Time to go modern and put in some SONOS speakers instead, Wireless and Wi-Fi, the can hide all over the house, I have (14) of them in my home.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Good morning Mr.Collie and all,

Thank you for responding.

The Henessey sofa is my absolute favorite. It looks so elegant! It’s a real statement piece.

The Henessey sofa is a bit larger than our current sofa too. Our current sofa is 28”H x 88”W x 34”D. The stereo cabinet would have to be moved. Plus, I know, get rid of the stereo speakers…lol. The sofa would probably look better with different style end tables. I just don’t want the expensive of new tables.

The Rita is nice looking just doesn’t have the wow factor as the Henessey.

As far as the Carmen sofa, I even considered it for the family room. I like the deeper seat for laying down. (Won’t be laying down on the living room sofa). I’m pretty restricted on the family room. Can’t float it.

The Tavern sofa would probably work best for the living room. I’m just not sure about the tufted seat.

I love your forum! It’s truly enlightening. I would have never ever considered unprotected leather before! You are absolutely a wealth of information! Much appreciated!

I’m also open to other sofa suggestions. This process would be so much easier if we could sit on them.

"This process would be so much easier if we could sit on them."

I usually hear this two to five times a day, every day the store is open. And I understand...as a consumer we all want to see what we are buying in person and try it out. With 1,400 frames in the Hancock & Moore line, there is only a small chance you can find the one you want. Even stores like mine, that invest heavily in H&M Floor stock, have only (50) pieces, most stores floor 4 to 6. At the High Point Market Showroom, which is - by far - the largest collection of H&M, they will max out at around 270 frames. And that is open only to the Trade, twice a year for a few days.

That's one of the reasons I try to photo and database as many floor models and customer sofas that come through the store with my "Parking Lot Photos" and I try them out, then write up an honest assessment of them as best I can. I think my quick-snap photos are more realistic than the professionally staged photos the makers use on their websites even if they are not corrected and don't have the best backgrounds.

One thing we do for clients that just MUST try out a piece is find out when one is coming off the production line in Hickory NC and then you can make a trip to see it (and get a plant tour) before its packed and shipped. These always have to be on a weekday and realize the piece you are trying out belongs to another customer and as such they won't hold if for more then a day or two. You pretty much have to make the trip when they say it's going to be ready.

You can also go to Furnitureland South near the Interstate in High Point NC. It's the world's largest furniture store and the size of about half a dozen IKEA's put together, you risk overload there - but you can see a lot of furniture and they carry every maker. Their pricing is not as aggressive as most people would expect, but if you want to spend a day in a massive furniture store, that's your place.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2021-05-31.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	93.1 KB 
ID:	15585

The Tavern with the tufted seat....what a sofa! https://www.myfurnitureforum.com/sho...ern+capri+navy

And the impressive and dramatic Henessy: https://www.myfurnitureforum.com/sho...highlight=6038
    Last edited by drcollie; 05-15-2023 at 08:50 AM.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.