Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Family Room Sofa and Power Recliner questions

Hybrid View

Post Family Room Sofa and Power Recliner questions

Hello,
    I’ve decided on either the Austin sofa (regular height) or the Doyle sofa which Duane recommended for our family room. We will probably get the sofa in either Hyde Park Brownie Burnished or Cameo Mocha Burnished. The Cameo seems to look a bit of a burgundy undertone than the Hyde Park. It could just be my sample though. If it does, I like it more. I also noticed the Cameo has a more crinkled look. It might just be the sample too. Anyway, I’ll be sending in for a quote soon.

I am looking for a power recliner for my husband. He currently has the Austin which he likes. I saw on this forum the 7150-PR recliner and the 1044-PR Sadler are more comfortable. My husband was wondering…if he would be able to have his legs up and only slightly lean back so he can watch tv.

The sofa style probably won’t match the chair; but, I’ll order them in the same leather. Hopefully, that will help tie them together.

Thank you in advance.

Default Re: Family Room Sofa and Power Recliner questions

The Doyle sofa is going to be taller in the back and have a better "updated" design feature to it vs the Austin. I personally don't see any burgundy in my samples of Cameo Mocha, it comes out pretty much as a true brown to my eyes. "Crinkles" is because samples are sent of scrap leather, they don't use the prime part of the hide for sample swatches, they are done out of the salvage material that is otherwise discarded.

If your husband likes his Austin Power Recliner, then no need to change for the sake of change. I personally do not like that unit, its one of the few I won't floor stock actually. The 7150-PR Westwood has been dropped but last time I checked they had (4) frames left. That one I DO like as I have it in my own home. 1044-PR Sadler is another favorite, too, it is taller. Yes, they should perform similar to his Austin.

Duane
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Hello Mr. Collie,
    I’m leaning towards the Doyle sofa. Other than color, are the Hyde Park Brownie Burnished and the Cameo Mocha Burnished are pretty much the same?

My husband said he’s open to changing power recliners as long as he can have his legs up while watching tv. (Doctor recommended.). He prefers a power recliner with the lumbar support back. Since the Westwood may sold out, is the Sadler your 2nd choice? Your thoughts on: 1089-PRB POWELL, 3039-PRB MARTIAL, 1190-PRB EMMETT?

I’m so glad I came across your furniture forum! Had I not, I would have ordered “protective/painted” leather. I had no idea that protected leather meant painted! Thank you so much for sharing your knowledge. I’ll put in a quote request tomorrow.

Like Duane said the burnished leathers are so so similar that it's more about color preference in picking between them. For what it's worth...we have an author's chair in Weston burnished and I have sat on at least 3 different pieces in the Cameo and Hyde park leathers...to me...I think the Hyde park is ever so slightly softer in hand but I also prefer the colors offered in the Hyde Park line over the Cameo line so perhaps it's just my personal bias. The brownie color in particular is really beautiful in person, subtle but elegant. Duane has had several pieces at the store in it and every time it catches my eye. I find some of the cameo colors to be a bit louder to my eye...but again this is just personal opinions and really your room decor and stylistic tastes are much more important than what some dude on the forum thinks.

Recliner selection is even more personal but I will say that the Saddler is significantly bigger than the Powell and I find it hard to imagine anyone liking both equally...they are built for different sized people in my opinion. Having liked the Austin before...I would use that as a guide for selecting the next recliner.

Good luck....and nice selection on going burnished...you'll love it!!

Hello Mr. Collie and Inconceivable,

I feel good about trying out the unprotected leather. Question…My Hyde Park Brownie Burnished sample isn’t shiny while my Cameo Mocha is. Will the finished sofa be similar in shine as the samples? I still sort of like the color of the Cameo Mocha better; but, I prefer the texture and not as shininess of the Hyde Park.

Even though I keep looking at the Carmen sofa’s design and it’s 23.5” depth for laying down, it’s probably not as comfortable as the Doyle. That said, I’ll probably go with the Doyle sofa assuming it’s more comfort comfortable and will be in the family room.

As far as my husband’s chair, we going to stick with Hancock and Moore for now. I’m just so confused as to which would be best for him. He is long wasted more than leggy and a bit full. Do you think the Westwood would be best for him if still available? Second choice?

My apologies for so many questions and my indecisiveness.

Hello Mr. Collie,
    I requested a quote although I’m not sure it went through. Would I receive an email? Please let me know if it didn’t go through. Also, I forgot to ask if we should go with the standard core cushion or the spring core cushion. I read your new favorite was the coil cushion. Would that hold true with laying down? Thank you.

Yes, both Cameo and Hyde Park leathers are based on pull-up crusts out of Italy. They are so similar that I have to look at the label on them to see which one is which.

All the power recliners bascially function the same, the footrest comes up and then the back begins to move to a tilt. Most have lumbar, some other makers like Bradington Young have adjustable Lumbar, however H&M does not yet embraced that feature as the adjustable lumber units are known to be kind of buggy. A lot of the picks on the recliner come down to style and also size of the person as well as their preferences. Powell and Emmett are both good, traditional units. I don't particularly like the 3039 Martial myself, the back pitch and short back height don't agree with me - but others like them.

If your husband really wants his legs up at or over his heart, then he needs a Zero Gravity recliner. Those raise the legs to that level when fully reclined. Of all the makers I carry, only Hooker has some Zero Gravity units.

Hope that helps!
    Duane Collie

Sorry, I did not see a quote request come through. You can Submit here under QUOTES AND ORDERS section or send an email to keepingroom@gmail.com

The sheen on burnished leathers is the sealer coat after the hand-antiquing, and as such varies because its hand-applied and each one varies. We can request more, or less sheen on the purchase order and they will do it to the best of their ability, but understand if it does not turn out as expected it is not a basis for return of the piece. Handmade is truly handmade.

The Carmen sofa is about design, the Doyle is about comfort. Doyle wins for most people as a lay-down unit. You don't say how tall your husband is, but if he is 5'10" or taller, the 1044 Sadler should be spot on.

Spring down cores are what I order my own burnished leather pieces in, I think they are just about perfect. But if you are laying down, they won't make much difference vs standard. You feel them more when sitting rather than in a prone position.
    Duane Collie

Thank you for your response, Mr. Collie.

You are correct. The Doyle would be better for everyday use and comfort. I’ll submit a quote request in the morning using the link you provided.

As far as my husband’s power recliner, he is about 5’8” or 9” tall now with older age and about 280. He’s long wasted if that matters. He said he’s okay with most recliners. If I remember correctly??? Lol…I read the lumbar chair backs with the larger lumbar on top was more comfortable. Set me straight if that’s wrong. I’m a bit hesitant about the Sadler only because it would be more of a pain to vacuum underneath because of the wood across the bottom and I’m concerned about dusting it. I had bilateral knee replacement a few years ago and I can’t go on my knees.

I’m still a bit uncertain about Hyde Park Brownie Burnished and Cameo Mocha Burnished. On my samples, the Hyde Park is a bit softer than the Cameo which is nice; but, I think I like the color on the Cameo slightly more. Thanks for clarifying about the shine. I’m also assuming the crinkle on the Cameo is just the sample and not the actual hide. I saw you had the Cameo on your stools and they looked really nice.

FYI…we decided to wait until fall to order the living room sofa.

At his height, the 7150 Westwood or similar should be about perfect. They should still have a few frames left, I checked a few weeks ago for another customer and there were (5) at that time. There is no way for me to check until Tuesday, however.

Softness of a burnished leather will vary from hide to hide and also on the amount of sealer applied. Again, I cannot tell the difference between Cameo or Hyde Park without picking up the tag on the leather.
    Duane Collie