Thread: How Best to Clean Upholstered Pieces?

organic_smallhome Guest

Default How Best to Clean Upholstered Pieces?

Now that I have my "new" loveseat, I'd like to have it cleaned. Usually, the woman that cleans our rugs on an annual basis also cleans our upholstered pieces, if necessary. It's a family-owned business and they do a conscientious and fantastic job, in my opinion, but now I'm wondering if this is actually the best approach to cleaning upholstery? Is this how you guys do it?

Default Re: How Best to Clean Upholstered Pieces?

Carefully! Use the wrong method and you can - and will - ruin the material.

Most upholstery fabrics are 'Cleaning Code S' which means dry cleaning solvents only. Many an upholstered piece has been ruined by use of 'steam cleaning' the piece causing the material to shrink and pucker permanently.

You have to find out the cleaning code for that particular material from the maker of the piece. If that's not possible, the safer bet is to follow the Cleaning Code S instructions and test first in an inconspicuous area.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

organic_smallhome Guest

Thanks, Duane. There's no cleaning code indication on the tags, so I guess I should just contact Kindel directly.

trisig Guest

Duane,
    When we had our smoke damage the cleaning company said they could clean my 6 month old rayon upholstered chairs. When they were returned, they just don't look right to me. The body of the chair is lighter than the skirting and the shoulder. Is this unusual? I have called our insurance company and they said to talk to the cleaning company. I am having a hard time connecting with them to check it out. The insurance company said they could have the chairs reupholstered locally, but I don't think I would want anybody, but Smith Bros doing it. Should I push it for reupholster or leave it alone. I paid a lot of money for these chairs and they are so new. I think this difference in color bothers me more than anyone, most people don't notice..

Sounds to me like they steam-cleaned the pieces. Lots of upholstery gets ruined from that, most all fabric is cleaning code S, which is dry-cleaning solvent. Having said that, many steam cleaners swear they can get by with using their methods, but color fade and shrinking/puckering are the hallmarks of when it doesn't work out well. Ask the Cleaning Company how they did the cleaning? If steam or water - there's your answer.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.