Thread: Austin 8134nb 1021 Wing and Other Questions

Smile Austin 8134nb 1021 Wing and Other Questions

We are considering an H&C Austin 8134nb sofa in Document Chestnut. I think the Doc Chestnut is a promo leather Class II which appears to be a good leather. What is a rational price for the Austin with Doc Chestnut, and how much of a price increase should I expect on other leathers in Class II?

We are shorter people and most recliners don't work well for us. The 1021 Woodridge is the best we've found. We can order it in Doc Chestnut also. We like it because it sits very straight up when it's in the unreclined position. It has good head support in the reclined postion. The only problem is we don't like the Chippendale wing style. It goes okay with the Austin couch but not great. Does H&C make any other recliners that sit straight up in the unreclined position like the 1021? And what's a rational price for the 1021 in Doc Chestnut?

We looked at the Austin recliner, but the store didn't have any in stock. Does it sit the same as the couch? Again, how is it priced in the Doc Chestnut, both the tilt and recliner versions and how much is the Ottoman?

What's the most durable class of leathers that H&C uses. We sit in the recliners everyday and want them to wear well. We wear jeans, but generally not shoes. We have a small dog but she's very old and doesn't damage the furniture. The Doc Chestnut says it's a servicability level 2, surface grain 4, special effects 4 and softness 3. I believe it's a semi-anniline dye. How scratch resistant is it?

We would also like to lower the height of the 1021 by one inch, if we wind up going that way. I believe Duane said that was possible. We also like firm cushions. Which cushion from H&C is the firmest? Can we add padding to the 8134nb to reduce the depth a little?

We know that's a lot of questions, but these pieces aren't inexpensive.

Any advice, help and information is appreciated. We have to have them shipped to Utah.

Default Re: Austin 8134nb 1021 Wing and Other Questions

I don't know what a rational price would be but I can tell you what I sell that piece for! Currently the # 8134NB Austin in Document Chestnut is $ 2,239 plus delivery charges. On Jan 11th, that price will increase to $ 2,309 ( $ 70 increase). This is in the Town and Country Promotion and in married cover. As a regular class 2 leather, the piece is currently $ 3,360. I don't have the 2010 main price list currently at home (where I am answering this from).

The # 1021 Woodbridge in Document Chestnut is currently $ 1,175.

Why not get the Austin Tilt Back chair and ottoman? That's a fantastic combo...the # 2032NB ( $ 1,399 in Doc Chest) and # 8131NB ($ 503 in Doc Chest). Or you can get the standard Austin Recliner # 3032 ($ 1,469 in Doc Chest). I'm partial to the tilt backs myself, but you do have to have room for the ottoman.

I'd say that that Austin Recliner is COMPARABLE to the sofa. Not exactly the same, but close enough. It is a wall hugger model as well.

What's the most durable leather? Thats hard to say because most all should go 20 years or more. How you take care of it has more to do with durability than the leather series itself. Its all about keeping the hide clean. And the so many other factors come into play as well. What good is durability if it feels like plastic?

My picks by grade for durability as a primary selection, and then luxury, hand and appearance as secondary concerns:

Class 1: Columbia : Best overall hide in entry level leather

Class 2: Aspen, Berkshire, the new Portfino series

Class 3: Equestrian, Luggage, Antelope

Document is a FINISHED hide, and H&M does sell a lot of it. Its a thin-cut leather, and supple. Not my favorite leather by a long shot (its a very processed leather), but I do acknowledge that in T&C it offers a considerable price advantage. It does not tend to scratch.

Yes, we can trim an inch off the leg of a # 1021 Recliner. Usually there is a nominal upcharge to do so.

Be careful ordering 'the firmest' cushions! You might find yourself re-buying softer ones. H&M can offer you Plus 1, Plus 2, Plus 3 and Plus 4 firmness upgrades at no charge. I do not recommend more than a Plus 1 upgrade. Every single customer that has requested the Plus 3 and 4's have regretted it, and many buy another set of standard cores to replace their Plus firmness ones. No extra charge for firmness upgrades.

You can request Q21 cores for the # 8134NB, which are 'extra full'. These will fill the void and cause them to be puffy when new, but once they break in a little they're usually very nice. No extra charge for these.

The forum is all about questions! And answers! Never be afraid to ask too many.....
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Thanks for all the info Duane.

We've looked at the Ottoman. My wife likes them more than I do. I'm always having to mover them to get around the room. But we're still thinking about it.

Is there another recliner that sits mostly straight up like the 1021 in the non-reclined positioon? Some recliners in the up right position still tilt back so far that I can't read or work on my computer. With the 1021 it isn't a problem. The 1021 is almost vertical. But I don't know if H&M has any that are similar in seating position but a different style.

Your prices are always excellent. Let me know the cost to ship to Utah tomorrow when you're at the store. Do I need to figure sales tax in when you ship out of state?

Hi Jack,

One thing the tilt backs allow you to do is have more versatility in seating options, PLUS its a more comfortable sit and a stronger chair. With tilt backs, you can stop the back motion and any point in the arc of movement. With a recliner, you stop at the detents unless you have a power motor unit.

Tilt backs have a solid frame base on an 8-way hand-tied spring deck. Recliners are a series of wood sections all bolted to a mechanism on a metal spring deck.

Of course, with a tilt back, you have to have the ottoman to make it work, and the combo is more expensive than just a regular recliner.

Yes, there are other recliners that sit similar to the 1021 Woodbridge in the closed position, but I hesitate to recommend one when I don't have them side by side. The Woodbridge is an old standby, and been in the line for years. I have one in my house that I bought in 1987 and its still only halfway through its service life. Comfort and seating is VERY subjective however, so I hesitate to say 'this one is better' or 'this one will sit just as well'. Most the other H&M recliners will be more expensive than the Woodbridge piece as well. One that you may want to look at is the Miller # 7017. I find it much more comfortable than the 1021 Woodbridge while in a similar style, however you may not!

A sofa and recliner to Utah will cost appx $ 440 for in-home delivery, and I don't collect any sales tax outside of Virginia.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.