Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Better recliner: Hancock & Moore Rodeo or Ivanhoe?

Default Better recliner: Hancock & Moore Rodeo or Ivanhoe?

This site has been quite helpful! We are deciding between the Hancock & Moore Rodeo and Ivanhoe recliners:

7100 RODEO RECLINER:
    https://www.hancockandmoore.com/Prod...etail?SKU=7100

7008 IVANHOE RECLINER:
    https://www.hancockandmoore.com/Prod...etail?SKU=7008

We will have people from 5'8" 130 lbs to 6'1" 175 lbs sitting in it.

From what I can tell, the Rodeo is among the narrowest of the H&M recliners, at 32” wide. Which might fit well where we want to put it. But maybe the chair is too small.

The Ivanhoe is only a couple inches wider at 34”, and the seat is 2” deeper. But I wonder about the Ivanhoe straight back. H&M customer service tells me I cannot choose cushioning for the Ivanhoe back, since that recliner mechanism comes to them prebuilt including the back. That makes me wonder if the Ivanhoe is a more commercial, less comfortable option than the Rodeo.

Any experience with either chair re the size, quality, comfort, or other comments would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
    William

Default Re: Better recliner: Hancock & Moore Rodeo or Ivanhoe?

The Customer Service ladies at H&M are very nice, but they don't work with the furniture daily like a larger dealer does. Many of then have been there less than a year since Covid really changed the employment landscape and don't have the experience with the pieces that (some) dealers do. I can tell you this much....

Don't take the measured specs to the bank.. The factory tolerance is +/- 2" on those dimensions because they are handmade, and frequently vary.

The Rodeo will blow away the Ivanhoe in comfort and style. It's also a more expensive unit. The Bustle back can't be beat for comfort and it has some very unique design features. The Ivanhoe, being a tight back, will show some stretch and puddling on the back cushion over time and use.

Any tight backs cannot have a cushion core option, because the foam for the back is not loose fill. The chairs are not prebuilt with the back done my bhe mech builder, that's not how its done.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Thanks so much. This confirms my thoughts about the Ivanhoe. So do you think the Rodeo, even though apparently among the smaller of their recliners, would be ok for someone 6'1" and 175 lbs?

Also, for cushions, we've found advice that the Springdown cushions can make cracking of protected leather worse over time. So for all three of the sofa and loveseat and recliner we are getting, we are leaning towards the default Qualux. Does that make sense? If so, we are leaning towards the 27 lbs level, the second of the four firmnesses, so not the softest but just a bit firmer. Then as you have commented here several times, if we want to replace the inserts years from now because they are breaking down we will look at that then. What do you think of this approach?

The Rodeo lounger is not in the small group, it's a midsize recliner. A lot depends at 6' 1" how much headrest you want. If you really want one to put your head on center top cushion, go with the # 1044 Sadler or (one on my very favorites) the 1080 Sami, especially the model with the articulating headrest. This one might be just about perfect in terms of comfort, especially in a TV watching position where you can control the headrest angle. https://www.hancockandmoore.com/Prod...SKU=1080-PR-HR

I'm afraid you are getting bad advice. Spring Down cushions don't make leather crack, lack of cleaning and conditioning does! Don't option your cushion cores based on that. Spring down is plush, I have it on all my pieces at home. If you decide to go that firm on the Qualux, then don't expect to get much "cush" from the cushions. They are going to be stiff. Is the reason for that because you are concerned about puddling of the leather? Buy the furniture to enjoy - the only way to prevent any leather stretch is to not use it - that's chasing an unobtainable goal. I don't recommend 27 (plus 2) firmness to anyone under 280 lb, quite honestly. If you make a mistake and order them too firm, then you will have to pay for softer cores.
    Duane Collie

Thanks Duane. There is no easy way to run power in this old house to where the recliner will go, so we want a push back, so if Sami I guess that would be https://www.hancockandmoore.com/Prod...etail?SKU=1080

So I guess the choice is between Rodeo and Sami. The person sitting in it 90% of the time will be me at 5'9" / 150 lbs. Here's my thinking fwiw.

I hear great things about the Rodeo, but it does have a "different" look to these untrained eyes, and wonder if the seating is unusual and if that affects comfort.

On the other hand the Sami has a more "typical" look, but the bustle seems to be more than half the back, so I wonder how that affects the comfort.

I'd really appreciate your thoughts on the differences between the two?

Power is not a problem, every H&M Recliner can have a rechargeable battery pack ready to go from the factory installed. They work great and its about 6 weeks of daily use before a re-charge.

The Rodeo has design components and features that set it apart from the other recliners. There is nothing else that looks like it. Here's one I did for a client a few years ago

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	41983.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	144.7 KB 
ID:	15769

At 5'9" you will like the Rodeo over the Sami (I thought this was for someone 6' 1" based on your prior post). It's a more costly recliner than others due to the design features, but it should sit great for you if you don't over-firm the cores.
    Duane Collie

Very good, this confirms my thoughts on Rodeo. Thanks much Duane.

For the cushions, I've ruled out the feather and Ultra and other options. We are going with Document Claret leather for the surface. So I understand it the main choices are between:

- Springdown
    - Qualux 21 lbs
    - Qualux 27 lbs
    - Qualux 31 lbs
    - Qualux 41 lbs

Here's my thinking, would love your comments. I understand the Springdowns "spring" back well because of their springs, so keep their shape for a very, very long time. However, I'm more interested in comfort than look. So I was thinking that Qualux would be a bit softer, since no springs. Then, if we go with Qualux, I was thinking of the 27 lbs, because as the second level I thought it would not be over firm, which I understand from your other posts most people don't like. So maybe it would be a sweetspot between firmer springs and too firm high poundage Qualux? And then even though Qualux 27 might not last as long as Springdown, I could always replace the core in a decade or so.

What do you think of this thinking?
    Last edited by LastingFurn; 10-13-2023 at 02:58 PM.

My personal opinion is that the only time I will order Document is when its on a deal so hot, I can't pass it up. I have a dislike for that series, it's been cheez-whipped into a very homogenized leather that is too expensive (GR 3) for what it is. It also tends to sluff its color coat over time. With the tariffs on China, that hide became pricey. You can get Tilton Ruby (aniline) for same money which will look and perform much nicer on that Rodeo vs Document. If you want to stay in a finished leather, there are GR 1 and 2 leathers equal to Document for less money.

It would be a mistake to order 31 or 41 Qualux, its too firm (especially the 41). Comfort is subjective, Spring Down is the best seat cushion they have in my opinion.
    Duane Collie

Thanks Duane. After more research I found your comment from this Feb that you now prefer the Springdown. So now I get it - the Springdown innovated and is now better.
    https://www.myfurnitureforum.com/sho...6659#post46659

On colour, we had chosen Document Claret for two of the pieces, and then Philosophy Burgundy for the other, just for a bit of contrast. We really like those colors, in between red and brown.

But we don't understand the grades at all. And after asking salesmen at two different stores what the difference was, we are more confused than ever. Basically we heard "No difference at all, all the leathers are exactly the same quality, the only difference is price because of what that particular batch cost H&M, so pick the colour you want, there is no other real difference". Hmmm.

So we care most about the colour. We want the best leather we can get, in colours that match Document Claret and Philosophy Burgundy. Is there some way to say "We want the colours of Document Claret and Philosophy Burgundy, so now what is the best leather we can get, and then make it those colours?"

You can't fix stupid. What can I say other than they are 100% wrong. It annoys me considerably that people don't learn their craft. If you are selling leather upholstery, then you should be an expert at it. A client is willing to spend money with you, the least you can do is know your product line, and if you don't have an answer, then find out who does and get back to them on it.

Ask one of them when was the last time they went to the factory in Hickory NC and spent the day there learning about the product....watch them stumble and say they never have been there. Most would prefer to watch Tik-Tok videos than study their product lines.

Read this and you will know more about leathers any of the sales people: https://www.myfurnitureforum.com/sho...-FORUM-lt-READ

If you are going for contrasting looks, you'll need more distinction than Philosophy Burgundy with Document Claret. Those will come off like a match and a miss. Change up the palette and do the recliner in a tan, for example.

Philosophy in an inexpensive hide that is used as a price point in married cover items. There are many superior leathers in the H&M lineup to that series, though you will be at higher price points. If I was doing a Rodeo, with the fine decign details on that piece I would be in higher tier leathers for sure.
    Duane Collie