Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Better recliner: Hancock & Moore Rodeo or Ivanhoe?

Default Re: Better recliner: Hancock & Moore Rodeo or Ivanhoe?

Thanks Duane. I read all the very useful information at that link carefully. I may not be smart, but I am certainly smarter ;-)

On the colors, I am defering on this to a higher authority - my wife. She wants exactly the colours of Document Claret and Philosophy Burgundy. They hit exactly the sweetspot between brown and red that she had in her mind when we started shopping. So now I'm wondering if there is any way to ask H&M to die higher quality hides in those colors for us?

If not, is the implication of using Document Claret and Philosophy Burgundy that they will not last as long, or otherwise show defects sooner from not being higher quality?

It's just that the Document leathers are painted leathers and the painted coating wears off over time, particularly where you touch it frequently.
    You can see in this photo at the end of the arm that the paint has sloughed off over time. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0982.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	195.4 KB 
ID:	15775
    Last edited by Miles77; 10-17-2023 at 10:11 AM.

These two are really close to Document Claret and Philosophy Burgundy and much better hand and will not risk rubbing off like the painted leathers.

https://www.hancockandmoore.com/Prod...therDetail/768

https://www.hancockandmoore.com/Prod...therDetail/830

Compare them to the ones your wife likes on the same screen and see how similar...also order samples of all 4 to see the color in person and in your light and feel them...it's the best way to get a feel for the differences

https://www.hancockandmoore.com/Prod...therDetail/556

https://www.hancockandmoore.com/Prod...herDetail/1014

While it might be difficult to ask H&M to dye higher-quality hides in specific colors, using Document Claret and Philosophy Burgundy should not necessarily result in lower quality or a shorter lifespan. Quality and durability depend on factors like tanning and care. So, as long as the leather is well-tanned and well-maintained, it can last for a long time and maintain its appearance. Best of luck with the choice!

Thanks Duane, I've ordered swatches of all four for a close inspection here in the home.

That leaves the cushion choice as the last variable. With leather, I noticed you suggested for many years to stay with Qualux (even found your posts on other forums ;-). Then in Feb this year you made a pivotal recommendation of Springdown since this "Marshall unit" technology had been further improved.

I'm now wondering how the weight of the sitter might affect this. I noticed you are a big fellow, 250 lbs if memory serves from one of your posts. I am much lighter (and now shrinking ;-) at about 150 lbs, and my wife is lighter still.

Springdown will last forever because of the springs. But might this make it a bit less forgiving for lighter folks like us?

This was the thinking that led me to wonder about the second level of Qualux. It comes in 21, 27, 31, and 41 lb options. I note your experience that most people find 31 and 41 too hard. However, I can't find anywhere that has the 21 and 27 in stock for me to try. So I was trying to think this through, and wondering if the 27, one up from the softest, might not be too hard, but provide a more giving experience than the Springdown.

If you were to compare the 27 lbs Qualux and the Springdown, what do you think the differences would be for folks like us at or under 150 lbs?

Cushions are all about personal preference. I like Spring Down - things change over time and are never stagnant.

As you are buying from another dealer, your best bet is to consult with them on seating cores.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Thanks Duane, that was going to be my next question, if you can provide these. Best handled by phone. I've put in a call to your store and left a message.

Thanks Duane. I understand custom stitching is only available on some Hancock and Moore items, as you mention here.

Do you know if the nice looking "Saddle" stitching would be an option on the Evening Sofa, City Loveseat, and Rodeo Recliner?

I have a video of the stitch options on our Facebook page, scroll down to the Sept 13th post (2023). I cannot post videos here on the forum without first creating them in You Tube. Just follow this link.

https://www.facebook.com/keeproom/?pnref=lhc
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Hi Duane, I made a new post for a question about leather cracking, since it seemed independent of this thread, posted here.