Thread: Leathecraft

Default Leathecraft

Hello Duane,

I've been talking to you about B-Y and H&M, but I've read a lot of your other posts. You mentioned not buying Leathercraft without sitting on it because some of the line is a bit uncomfortable. That is right on the money. I've tried several pieces of Leathercraft and some of them were great and some of them served no other function than looks.

I've also noticed that Leathercraft cushions on some of their chairs like the 1007 and the 237-07 is softer than some of the other pieces from H&M or B-Y. I assume Leathercraft is using more down in the cushions. In looking at the leathers they offer, they don't have any "finished" leather so the durability doesn't seem as high as using finished leathers in the other lines. I now some people prefer the softer feel of aniline and semi-aniline leathers but I like the easy clean up and durability of finished leather.

I think you mentioned you preferred the softer leathers also. Is the discount off of retail for Leathercraft about the same as H&M and B-Y, or do they maintain a higher price. Since I don't see Leathercraft in as many showrooms, I'm guessing it's a lower volume seller for most stores. I don't know if Leathercraft has a promotional line like the Town and Country, but I haven't seen one.

Thanks for all your advice and willingness to share your knowledge. The furniture businesss has really gone through some big changes in the last few years. We've seen a lot of stores leave the business and complete lines disappear. As you know some companies like Ethan Allen have nearly killed their business by moving production to China. I'm a retired CEO, and we had only two products made in China out of several hundred that we carried.

I am surprised at how many executives fail to realize how hard it is to maintain consistency and quality in China. Then there's the shipping problems, the climate change issues and the raw material supply variables in China. If you asked me what the probability was I could have a cherry wood dresser or armoire built in China, ship it here on a boat, leave it in LA for three or four weeks in a hot container, and then ship it to Montana and be so good the customer would love it, I would say there was less than a 50% chance it would arrive with a decent finish, unwarped doors, no pealing veneers and drawers that were still centered and straight.

I also understand the shrinking volumes that many manufactures have faced over the last five years so many of them were forced to move production offshore to try to stay price competitive. Wally World has changed the retail landscape and it's not likely to change back.

My father owned a hardware business and a cabinet shop, so in hard goods I know what I'm looking at. The cabinet shop made furniture to match any piece someone had, or had a picture of, but even then very few people were willing to pay the price. Their furniture lasted for many decades. But today that doesn't matter. I see Basset furniture in million dollar homes because it had stripes in the right place. That's painful.

I want to thank you again for your posts and also to complement you on your adapting to a changing environment in your business. Many furniture retailers failed to adapt and have faded away.

Default Re: Leathecraft

Hi Jack,

Yes, Leathercraft builds a nice product, but it lacks the consistency that H&M does, so I'm hesitant to recommend a particular frame unless I've had some personal experience with it. But if you get one of their good pieces, its the equal of H&M.

They are a much smaller company, and the owner is - shall we say - less adaptable to change and suggestions and less accessible as well. They will always be playing catch-up to Hancock and Moore. Jack Glasheen, principle owner of H&M, has the furniture industry figured out. I can pick up the phone and talk to him any time, he always has time to take my call.

Down is not standard in most Leathercraft nor H&M. Differences in seating are due to the thickness of the core and the foam density selected for that particular frame.

Leathecraft has lots of protected leathers, maybe the store you were at did not have their handles up to date? However their main target market is not the residential customer, but high end decorators, so they do cater to the funky end of the leather spectrum.

Leathercraft and H&M are parity priced for the most part. LC has recently rolled out a Portfolio 2 collection which is similar to H&M's Town and Country. Not every dealer will have this, its done for certain high-volume dealers such as my store.

I think the rush to China to build furniture was a HUGE mistake. Many companies that "bet the farm" and went 100% that route now regret it, but they have no domestic infrastructure to come back to and are stuck. There is a current major backlash on Chinese made furniture that is very evident, and in my opinion, well-deserved. One of the big problems, as you point out, is the last time someone looked at that piece of furniture before its opened here in someone's driveway was in Bejing at Factory Number 7. High damage rates and no parts to repair.

I'm still here in the business because I have never over-expanded my business. I have never taken out a commercial loan and have no debt service. I own my inventory and fixtures/vehicles free and clear, and the building we are located in. That gives one real staying power if times get tough. Its a lean ship!
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.