Bradington Young has rolled out a new 'price-friendly' line of transitional leather furniture called "Envision" that you will begin to see in dealer showrooms soon.

http://www.bradington-young.com/product.asp?pl=EV

This line is a direct response to dealer requests for less expensive furniture that was NOT made in China. There is a definite backlash among consumer on made-in-China furniture these days, so makers are trying to do things here in America as much as possible (yea!)

I've often said that furniture making is not rocket science. The only way to get the price down is to cut out materials, or cut out labor. And that's what B-Y did to get into the under $ 2K sofa market in USA-made leather pieces.

So, how did they do it? Two ways. 1) Eliminate the expensive 8-way, hand-tied spring deck they have always done on their pieces in favor of a pre-manufactured drop-in spring grid, and 2) Use Splits on the side and back, the only full-grain top leather is on the seating surfaces and arms.

Cut material costs - cut labor.

This is not necessarily a bad thing, because it will let those working within a budget constraint to buy into this grouping at better price points withing having to purchase a product made in China. But I didn't order the collection (dealer buy-in required) because I'm skeptical and want to see and touch it first. I want to see how much the drop-in spring grid compromises comfort and I also how the split leather looks on the sides and back. I have my doubts. And I'm all about quality. If I wouldn't buy it for my own home, then you'll never see it for sale in my store.

Split leather is when the take a hide and slice it in half. The upper piece of the hide becomes Top Grain leather and is used on upholstery and other fine leather products, the lower section is called "The Split" and becomes suede, industrial, or shoe leather. Its more fragile and doesn't usually finish well.

So if you're shopping your local store and see this new BY grouping, be aware that no matter what they might tell you, its constructed differently from the mainline B-Y product and is designed to be less expensive. I'll take a look at it if I go to the April Market at High Point and see what I think of it then.