Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bradington Young ENVISION series

Default Bradington Young ENVISION series

Bradington Young has rolled out a new 'price-friendly' line of transitional leather furniture called "Envision" that you will begin to see in dealer showrooms soon.

http://www.bradington-young.com/product.asp?pl=EV

This line is a direct response to dealer requests for less expensive furniture that was NOT made in China. There is a definite backlash among consumer on made-in-China furniture these days, so makers are trying to do things here in America as much as possible (yea!)

I've often said that furniture making is not rocket science. The only way to get the price down is to cut out materials, or cut out labor. And that's what B-Y did to get into the under $ 2K sofa market in USA-made leather pieces.

So, how did they do it? Two ways. 1) Eliminate the expensive 8-way, hand-tied spring deck they have always done on their pieces in favor of a pre-manufactured drop-in spring grid, and 2) Use Splits on the side and back, the only full-grain top leather is on the seating surfaces and arms.

Cut material costs - cut labor.

This is not necessarily a bad thing, because it will let those working within a budget constraint to buy into this grouping at better price points withing having to purchase a product made in China. But I didn't order the collection (dealer buy-in required) because I'm skeptical and want to see and touch it first. I want to see how much the drop-in spring grid compromises comfort and I also how the split leather looks on the sides and back. I have my doubts. And I'm all about quality. If I wouldn't buy it for my own home, then you'll never see it for sale in my store.

Split leather is when the take a hide and slice it in half. The upper piece of the hide becomes Top Grain leather and is used on upholstery and other fine leather products, the lower section is called "The Split" and becomes suede, industrial, or shoe leather. Its more fragile and doesn't usually finish well.

So if you're shopping your local store and see this new BY grouping, be aware that no matter what they might tell you, its constructed differently from the mainline B-Y product and is designed to be less expensive. I'll take a look at it if I go to the April Market at High Point and see what I think of it then.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

purplerain Guest

Question Re: Bradington Young ENVISION series

I myself have been looking for Brad Young, but just to expensive at one point. I came across a couple pieces which I loved, at what seemed to be a great price for them. I was looking at the (Seven Seas Seating) Bradington Young Glider recliner chair SS6011G-087 and Bradington Young entertainment sofa with 2 glider recliners & a storage console SS601E3-087. I can get these (both) for around $2400 shipped. If you have any input, please let me know. Also, are these BY's quality pieces for the price. Thanks so much
    Last edited by purplerain; 01-18-2010 at 12:50 PM.

Default Re: Bradington Young ENVISION series

Those are the Seven Seas collections pieces which are 100 % made in China. I don't carry that product line and don't have a price book on them, sorry.

They are not as good a quality as the USA-made Bradington Young in my opinion. I ordered one group of Seven Seas several years ago to give it a try, was not impressed with what I saw and did not re-order.

I tend to find USA made goods are considerably better than product that comes from China, and as a rule I don't generally carry imports.
    Duane Collie

purplerain Guest

I figured that would be the case. What would you recommend for me based on those specific models that I gave you. I love those 2 models and they would fit my tile and hardwood floors perfectly. Looking to spend $2500 at most for 2 pieces if at all possible. YES, I would like to stay away from China too

You won't get that price point in any USA made line that's halfway decent except maybe Flexsteel, which is made in Missisippi, Iowa and Pennsylvania (their Lattitudes line is Chinese). I no longer am a Flexsteel dealer, but its solid and lasts - though its not the most nicely tailored.

You should see the reps cringe when they try to present us these lines (every maker has a 100 % made in China line, even Hancock and Moore - they call it Randall Allen). They have to talk it up - its their job. But you can tell everyone has some hesitation. I get tired of being beat-up by customers for "something less expensive" on a regular basis, so in a weak moment I'll try a buy-in on these Chinese lines. They arrive off the truck full of those "Silica-gel : Do Not Eat" packets in the carton and when I unpack them - I just shake my head. The flaws are so obvious to me that I'm really almost embarrassed to have to sell it to someone. Granted, I have a critical eye....and then I'm on the phone complaining about the crap that just rolled up. Ugh. So I've made a decision just on quality to stay away from that type of thing much less the politics of it all.

The USA made furniture companies REALLY need the orders. Every one of them is struggling to keep their USA production facilities open and every worker employed. Even H&M is not back to a 5-day work week at this time. So if you can swing the extra for American-made, you help your fellow countrymen and I honestly think the quality difference is considerable.

Best deal going in the market is Hancock and Moore's Town and Country group. There are some tremendous deals in the category though it still won't get you two pieces for $ 2,500.
    Duane Collie

purplerain Guest

Thumbs up Re: Bradington Young ENVISION series

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    You won't get that price point in any USA made line that's halfway decent except maybe Flexsteel, which is made in Missisippi, Iowa and Pennsylvania (their Lattitudes line is Chinese). I no longer am a Flexsteel dealer, but its solid and lasts - though its not the most nicely tailored.

You should see the reps cringe when they try to present us these lines (every maker has a 100 % made in China line, even Hancock and Moore - they call it Randall Allen). They have to talk it up - its their job. But you can tell everyone has some hesitation. I get tired of being beat-up by customers for "something less expensive" on a regular basis, so in a weak moment I'll decided to try a buy-in on these Chinese lines. They arrive off the truck full of those "Silica-gel : Do Not Eat" packets in the carton and when I unpack them - I just shake my head. The flaws are so obvious to me that I'm really almost embarrassed to have to sell it to someone. Granted, I have a critical eye....and then I'm on the phone complaining about the crap that just rolled up. Ugh. So I've made a decision just on quality to stay away from that type of thing much less the politics of it all.

The USA made furniture companies REALLY need the orders. Every one of them is struggling to keep their USA production facilities open and every worker employed. Even H&M is not back to a 5-day work week at this time. So if you can swing the extra for American-made, you help your fellow countrymen and I honestly think the quality difference is considerable.

Best deal going in the market is Hancock and Moore's Town and Country group. There are some tremendous deals in the category though it still won't get you two pieces for $ 2,500.
    Do have anything in the style from my 1st post. I'm looking to go with that style, or another if close to. Also, what would I be spending from you if I were to go that route? Thanks so much, Jon

Are you talking about something with a similar appearance but without the seams across the arms and seat backs? Dwayne can correct me if I'm wrong, but I suspect that reflects where hides are joined together, allowing the seats to be constructed from much smaller pieces of leather than a H&M piece. If you're interested in H&M offers similar seating (see, e.g., the Monterey Lounger and Theater Series) but without the seams (or cup holders), and I expect at a significantly higher price point.

purplerain Guest

Quote Originally Posted by aaron View Post
    Are you talking about something with a similar appearance but without the seams across the arms and seat backs? Dwayne can correct me if I'm wrong, but I suspect that reflects where hides are joined together, allowing the seats to be constructed from much smaller pieces of leather than a H&M piece. If you're interested in H&M offers similar seating (see, e.g., the Monterey Lounger and Theater Series) but without the seams (or cup holders), and I expect at a significantly higher price point.

Similar appearance to my items in my 1st post. Know of any higher quality pieces that are very similar to the style and functionality of those? Those in my first post are exactly what I'm looking for, but they are made in China

I'm going to send you back to Flexsteel USA again. Furniture is fashion as much as it is utility, and I'm afraid that style of the Seven Seas group you mention is dated and not in the better furniture companies lineups. Here's a similar Flexsteel, and I'd much prefer this to Seven Seas by BY, personally.

http://www.flexsteel.com/home/produc...SkuId=1510-604
    Duane Collie

purplerain Guest

Wink Re: Bradington Young ENVISION series

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    I'm going to send you back to Flexsteel USA again. Furniture is fashion as much as it is utility, and I'm afraid that style of the Seven Seas group you mention is dated and not in the better furniture companies lineups. Here's a similar Flexsteel, and I'd much prefer this to Seven Seas by BY, personally.

http://www.flexsteel.com/home/produc...SkuId=1510-604
    Perfect - I went on the website and looked at their Latitudes collection. Really nice. How is the cost? What would the price be for the Model 1207-62 and Model 1207-54?? Also, I read where this model is "Made in China." Thanks so much
    Last edited by purplerain; 01-19-2010 at 11:14 AM.