Thread: Can't hit a home run everytime at bat

Hybrid View

Default Can't hit a home run everytime at bat

It occurred to me that all to often I post photos of pieces and they're all "Wonderful, Fantastic, Comfortable" and after a while it seem a bit nauseating to read all that. So today...I give you my mistakes. The "Rats" in the store that need to GO. Dunno what I was thinking when I ordered these, or in some cases the Sales Rep got to me and I bought one knowing full well it wasn't right but I got it anyways.

What do we have here?......

There's the Khaki-colored Southwood sofa (Farrington group) that sits fine, looks nice, but no one wants a light colored fabric sofa with no pattern. Mistake. Will probably stain if you look at it hard. Great for tossing throws on to protect the fabric, but I'd not want to spill coffee on it.

A horrid desk by Lee Sawyer that I foolishly ordered in green paint. I've had this for years. It projects too far out from the wall and makes it a non-starter for most people....and its green. Lee closed his shop back around 2002 to give you an idea how long this has been around....... I'd paint it black if I thought it would help make it leave.

Flexsteel Mission Sofa and Chair. ACK!!! A pal of mine really liked this in the catalog, so I ordered it up for him. Heavy as lead, that wood is solid oak. In fact, they stopped making this sofa after a 8 month run because it used up so much oak they were getting killed on the production costs. Mission doesn't sell in my store and I've been told the fabric was awful by a number of customers. Hey, I liked it! (at the time). A heart-breaker to lift and try to move around - can't believe how heavy it is - won't ever break, though. Takes up WAY too much room in the store and there is no way in the world I would try to carry this into a basement rec room.

Leathercraft tooled leather wing chair. I hate this chair. Rep sold it to me as the latest/greatest look. Goofy-looking and there is no absolutely no spring support in the back. Terribly uncomfortable. Can't believe a lady customer sat in this last week and declared it best chair she ever sat in. Needs to be thrown in a bonfire at the next college football game.

Gotta get rid of these, they're taking up valuable floor space. I'd REALLY-REALLY-REALLY like these gone. I'll sell them all below dealer cost just to make way for better pieces. You've been warned how suckie I think they are, though.......
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mis1.jpg 
Views:	563 
Size:	120.9 KB 
ID:	774   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mis2.jpg 
Views:	637 
Size:	124.9 KB 
ID:	775   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mis3.jpg 
Views:	573 
Size:	121.4 KB 
ID:	776   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mis5.jpg 
Views:	590 
Size:	86.5 KB 
ID:	777   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mis6.jpg 
Views:	591 
Size:	75.3 KB 
ID:	778  

Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Default Re: Can't hit a home run everytime at bat

Don't entirely disagree with you, but as they say" there's an a$$ for every seat"

This is something my dad told me way way back when we had an electronics shop. I was a kid and people would come in and fall in love with an old black and white TV and buy it. I would say " Why would anyone want that thing"? My dad said to me

"You could take a poop on a paper plate and let it petrify, Place it in the front window of the store, People will walk past it everyday. It might take 10 maybe 20 years but someday, Someone will walk through that door and say HOW MUCH FOR THAT PIECE OF POOP IN THE WINDOW? I LOVE IT."

He was right. For many years after he passed people still came in and purchased stuff that just baffled me. We were always honest just as Duane. Never pushed a sale. If the person liked it and wanted it we would sell it.

I am sure that all that stuff will sell. Just a matter of the right person getting a look. Post it on Craigslist for your bottom dollar and I am sure it will all go.

Hey Duane,
    My name is Dawn I was in your store last week.
    I broke my foot today and this post made me laugh !!
    I'll send you the swatch list tomorrow.
    Thanks for the laugh !

bubbaonline Guest

If that's the worst you have, you aren't in too bad of shape.

The Mission pieces are nice, but that pattern is just not great. The sofa and chair both look decent. You should have latched onto the lady that liked the way the wing chair sat.

That desk? Hmmmm... firewood?

Those all gone, sold. Replaced by other ones now!
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

bubbaonline Guest

Ha.. didn't pickup that this was old thread.