Thread: Bathroom Vanity Sink

mybs Guest

Default Bathroom Vanity Sink

Hello,

I'm interested in upgrading my bathroom vanity sinks in the future and have had my eye on a Restoration Hardware Hutton White Vanity Sink http://www.restorationhardware.com/r...ostalCodePopUp . But as RH is a large franchise store, I'm somewhat concerned that the quality-to-price ratio may be skewed based on better marketing rather than better quality. Does anyone know of alternative stores or brands that may carry a similar look but be either better priced or better-built than this piece?

Thanks

Default Re: Bathroom Vanity Sink

I found a brand of furniture-look bathroom vanities and cabinets - I believe it was Fairmont Designs - and had the opportunity to look at some pieces at a local supplier. I felt that the quality was adequate (On a scale of "yuck - poor - adequate - good - great"), and was a bit concerned about the materials, fit and finish (some aspects looked cheap or, in other ways, 'not quite right', including the cabinet door hardware). In looking at furniture-look pieces at big box hardware stores, I find even less to like. I would be reluctant to purchase any cabinetry without the opportunity to inspect a typical piece.

I don't see any mention on the piece you found as to how the drawer boxes are assembled. When I don't see that mentioned, my assumption is that they're probably stapled, possibly screwed, almost certainly not dovetailed. Solid birch frames, fair enough. Solid birch veneers... absent a mention of what's under the veneers, my mind immediately turns to particle board. I don't like particle board; some people view it more charitably than I do, and some try to push it in bathroom environments as being less susceptible to high humidity than solid wood, but... really, if water penetrates whatever's cover it (usually melamine or veneer) it soaks up water like a sponge. (Not that plywood is perfect, particularly if water sits for a long time or gets between the layers through a cut.)

My current thought is that, should I go for a furniture look when we eventually redo our bathroom(s), I will get the case custom built, either get a top fabricated or buy a pre-cut vanity top, and put the unit on high quality stainless steel or aluminum feet from a company like Mockett.

I wanted to mention something else about furniture-look vanities - if you're replacing an existing vanity that goes down to the floor, you may find that the flooring underneath the cabinet is not complete (e.g., tile doesn't go all the way to the wall) - it's a common shortcut builders take. Sometimes the plumbing runs through the floor instead of running in the wall, and that's harder to conceal (or a chore to replumb) when there's a space under the cabinet. Finally, it doesn't seem like cleaning under the cabinet would be much fun.

An alternative that mixes both a "furniture look" and a cabinet base that drops all the way to the floor can be seen on these (kitchen) cabinets. I've also seen a version where the baseboard behind the feet is painted black.

landpratt Guest

I ordered our bathroom vanity sink online through direct to you furniture. They have an awesome selection of both single and double vanity sinks (depending on what you're going for) Quality is exceptional and prices are low because the middle man is eliminated. http://www.directtoyoufurniture.com/...ity-sinks.html

And it's purely coincidence that your company is promoting their website? Cough [spam] cough.

Quote Originally Posted by aaron View Post
    And it's purely coincidence that your company is promoting their website? Cough [spam] cough.
    At least they're not nasty ole middle men!! <chuckle>

P.S. You guys got to get up pretty early in the morning to get past Aaron.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.