Thread: Pricing Used Upholstered Furniture (General Topic)

organic_smallhome Guest

Default Pricing Used Upholstered Furniture (General Topic)

I know that how much one charges for a piece of used upholstered furniture depends on condition, age, maker, and even simply what the market will determine. But I'm curious as to what your ideas are regarding price reductions relative to the new price.

For example, this person is selling a 74" $1400 Sherrill sofa (now selling for $1600 new), one year old, for $850. Would you consider that to be a reasonable reduction, since the sofa is in "never used" condition? What about if it had been "gently used"? Different price? Or does new, upholstered furniture, like a new car, take a nose-dive in value the second it leaves the showroom?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3nc3mc3p85T95P75R1a22e615117e8c0913f5[1].jpg 
Views:	340 
Size:	7.0 KB 
ID:	809  

Default Re: Pricing Used Upholstered Furniture (General Topic)

The problem with used upholstery is connecting with a buyer that has the same taste and style. Some of these makers have 5.000 fabrics in their lineup, that can be put on over 1,000 frames. That means that there's a lot of different ways to configure a piece, unlike a Toyota Corolla that might have two interior colors choices and ten exterior colors.

In the past, it was virtually impossible to post photos, but in the past three to five years everyone has become comfortable with digital photography enough to run ads on venues like EBAY and C/L and that helps market a used piece considerably.

Another hurdle to get past is you have to go in someones home to see their used pieces, and that's uncomfortable for many (both buyer and seller). At least with cars, they're out in the driveway or parking lot.

50% off the price of new is about right on used, factory-made furniture. Handmade case pieces that are accurate reproductions don't suffer that kind of depreciation, however.

The other factor is pets on the upholstery. If they're allowed up on the pieces then cut the resale value by half again.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Goodgal Guest

Default Re: Pricing Used Upholstered Furniture (General Topic)

Also just the fact someone has sat or lay on that sofa doing God knows what @@! Upholstery may have a history! Leather is safer (I guess) but I view used upholstery like I view used mattressess.....I need to know the history lol