Thread: Classic Leather

Hybrid View

Default Classic Leather

I had the Wash DC area representative for Classic Leather come in my store last week looking to see if I would like to carry the line. Very nice gentleman who knew the industry well and we had a good chat for about an hour. He left a catalog and price list but in all honesty I have to say with Hancock and Moore, Leathercraft and Bradington-Young I think I have all the bases covered in leather houses and don't need a fourth line competing for floor space. (Plus I can get leather through Taylor King and Southwood if I want as well).

The owners of Hancock and Moore used to work at Classic Leather many years ago. Jack Glasheen was the Sales Manager and Jimmy Moore the plant manager - and they left to start H&M which has far surpassed Classic in depth of offering and sheer volume due to some serious dealer marketing mistakes Classic made in years past. Classic Leather is now more a niche maker that does things like "Harley Davidson" logo sofas and the like, which I'm not sure would be all that popular.

Does anyone here see anything in Classic Leather that they cannot find in another line or a particular loyalty to that brand?
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

MJM_CA Guest

Default Re: Classic Leather

Duane,

I agree the Classic Leather Harley Davidson stuff would be very limiting in appeal. I'm still considering Classic Leather's Portsmouth sectional:
    http://www.classic-leather.com/produ...20Sectional&11
    Hancock & Moore's Journey sectional is very similar, but I like the lines of the Portsmouth better.

Quotes I've received for the Classic Portsmouth have been slightly cheaper than the H&M sectionals. I'm just wondering about quality differences...

Now that you've dropped Flexsteel, perhaps you should add Classic. Though they aren't in the same class...

I'm not sure I need to add another leather line in my store, that's just more confusion/samples/pricing/models to get familiar with and most of their styles are not unique. If I were to add it, I would drop one of my existing lines. Quite honestly, H&M is about 70% of my leather sales, Bradington Young about 20 %, Leathercraft 10 %. H&M's product depth is so great and customer support is so strong, there is no need to replicate that product line with another maker.

Classic Leather is well made. You won't go wrong buying that line.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Now that I think of it a dealer I have frequented I believe sells Classic Leather and if my faulty memory is correct I thought he mentioned something about Classic Leather pieces sitting well for smaller frame people. The dealer said it was a more a niche product but a great product for that niche.