Thread: New member with questions

gayle Guest

Question New member with questions

Thank you for this wonderful resource. You have saved me from making a costly mistake of buying brands that were once known for their quality.
    I live on the southern Oregon Coast and after a recent remodel find myself in the process of purchasing furniture for a large family room.
    I am committed to purchasing furniture made in USA and to fabric upholstery. Based on what I have read on this forum I am interested in both Hancock and Moore and Bradington Young. Our nearest dealer is 120 miles away. In our first looking only shopping trip we sat on several H&M chairs and 2 BY sofas. Compared to sofas carried by other stores we were completely impressed with both companies.
    I have spent countless hours reading your forum and going over the H&M and BY sites. I have narrowed down my choices and received price quotes from our dealer on 6 pieces. Could you please tell me if these prices are reasonable?

All BY are priced in a Moderate GR.III fabric:
    BY 595-95 sofa $2295 love seat $2095.
    BY 552-95 sofa $2695 love seat $2465
    BY 340-25 Tub chair $1235

H&M are priced in group 1 and 2 fabrics:
    H&M 7060 Ashton Lounger $1959 or $2199
    H&M 7059 Abbott Lounger $2039 or $2299
    H&M 9461G Sullivan Glider $1789 or $1959
    I am also interested in the
    H&M 9749 September Sofa and love seat and
    5045 Grainger sofa and love seat but do not have a quote on these yet.

Any other input as to the comfort and quality of the pieces would also be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Gayle

Default Re: New member with questions

Hi Gayle,

Welcome to the forum! Those prices are 'reasonable' but easily beat. I no longer quote prices in the forum, but I will PM you with a few examples of what I sell them for.

I will tell you that I will discourage you from ordering any motion furniture in fabric, it simply wears out too quickly. Leather is 4x more durable. You can expect 5 to 7 years our of a fabric recliner, then you will be looking at a $ 700 to $ 800 recovering job in a moderate fabric. Motion furniture has a lot of friction and wear that you don't get in stationary pieces....just a data point for you!
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

gayle Guest

Question Re: New member with questions

Duane,
    Thank you for your response. All I can say regarding the examples of what you sell some of these pieces for is "WOW"!! Even after factoring in the freight and accessorial charges I'm still very impressed.
    I understand your comment regarding wear and tear on fabric motion pieces but there is no way I can have leather (vegan lifestyle). We could avoid part of the problem by replacing the lounger with a stationary chair. Would there be as great of an issue with wear on the tub swivel chair?
    I must admit, after reading the thread regarding the Leggett hardware used in BY pieces I'm having second thoughts about purchasing the tub chairs. Is there a possibility that parts of H&M (besides the leather) is made in China?

My last two questions:
    Is the Grainger sofa still included in the Town and Country program?

Once we make our final decision regarding frame style how do we go about selecting fabric? The tiny squares shown on the web sites are not enough to tell what the repeating pattern would look like on a large piece. It's also hard to be confident of colors since all monitors are different.

Thank you again for so generously sharing your time and expertise.
    Gayle

Default Re: New member with questions

Hi Gayle,

I thought you would like those prices....<g>

Believe it or not, there is a non-leather material that is technically a vinyl that looks and wears like leather - I get it from Hancock and Moore's specialty medical division, and you cannot tell its not real leather, its that good. I have done recliners for customers in this material that don't want animal products in their furniture covers and they have been pleased with it. Its not inexpensive, and sells at a Grade 3 leather price, but its a fantastic non-leather product. The medical industry typically does not use leather either, because its more porous than vinyl, so there's a whole series if high-end products to service that niche.

You will get less wear on a material with any stationary piece, for sure.

I can't tell you for sure what component parts originate from what country in any maker's piece. That would probably be a massive undertaking to try to figure all that out and I'm not inclined to try to do that. As you saw in the Leggett and Platt email, they have four manufacturing plants for mechanisms, two in the USA and two in China. With that sort of thing, its really difficult to say this part came from country A and this one came from country B with assurances, because the source of the parts is likely to vary from one shipment to another. I can tell you that the owners of H&M are as American in their patriotism and loyalty as we all are, and they would prefer to have as much Made-in-USA content as possible, but it can't always be controlled in a world economic climate.

The Grainger series is no longer in Town and Country.

Fabrics are more difficult to select long distance than leathers. Best way to do it is look at the covers for both H&M and Jessica Charles on-line at the maker's web sites, and them PM me with a request for samples, maximum of (15) per request.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.