Thread: New Fabric Sofa/Chairs very hard?

Roosta Guest

Default New Fabric Sofa/Chairs very hard?

Hi, I am a newbie here and was wondering if anybody could give me some advice on a new Huntingtonhouse Sofa, Chair and Chair 1/2 (product id# 2071) we just got delivered in July. My problem is that the set still seems to be very stiff/hard, does not feel like a sofa/chair should, comfortable and soft. At the store the product seemed to be soft and comfortable? After talking to customer service, they recommended to take the cushions off and walk on them with your socks on and which we have, a couple of times. We just called back and they told us to unzip the zippers? I know that things have to be broken in, but I'm not sure how long? Has anybody ever heard of these suggestions that the store has recommended or are they just blowing smoke at us? Can anybody help, direct or just give us the facts about this situation? I know it would be a hard lesson to take considering the price of the set, but I guess you live and learn. Any and all help is appreciated. Thank you in advance for your time and consideration.
    Roosta

Default Re: New Fabric Sofa/Chairs very hard?

I'd classify that as blowing smoke. Cushion cores, by design, take years to soften up. They simply have too much density in the foam to suit your tastes and all that about walking on them is nonsense. Huntington House is USA-made in the Carolinas, so it should be relatively easy for them to replace the cores for you by simply ordering new ones. Ask your dealer to get these for you, don't try to do it yourself - your dealer has WAY more pull in doing so than you ever will trying to talk to them on your own. Cushion cores cone in different densities and are usually built to order. For example, on a Hancock and Moore piece the standard density is 16 oz, but we can order 21 oz if the customer wants it firmer, or go into an 11 oz for softer. Another option is to suggest you get down cushions on the re-order and pay the difference. Down cushions are never firm, so I'm 99 % certain you won't have them in the piece now. A good dealer will help you out on this. Good luck!
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Roosta Guest

Thank you so much for your help. I will do exactly what you suggested. I like the idea of the down cushions, because the pillows that came with the couch are filled with down feathers and they are so comfortable. I thought I did my research on my choice, but there is still so much I have to learn. I like the company that I chose because of their quality and craftmanship plus the fact that it's made in America. I read alot of your blogs and how you offer and help so many people out there looking for answers. More people like you in this world who as they say "Push it forward" and give adice without looking for anything in return. I was in the Automobile business for 25 years and if you need any help or advice about a purchase please feel free to ask me. Again thank you Drcollie for your time and consideration.
    Roosta

Hi Roosta,

Sorry to confuse you but here is a different perspective from the one Duane has just given to you.

I am a manufacturer. It sounds as though your seat cushions are probably a high quality high resilience foam similar to what we use. Although most of our customers like the firmness of the high resilience foam some do find it too "firm." Some large high end manufacturers actually have large machines that compress the high resilience foam under several hundred pounds of pressure for several minutes to pre-soften it before making their cushions Most manufacturers however, including my company, simply inform our customers that the foam will soften up with regular use and that it will take 90 - 120 days of regular use before it reaches the optimal level of comfort. Yes, we do advise our customers that the softening process can be speeded up a bit by walking on the cushions (with socks.) Most manufacturers do not have as many cushion options as Hancock and Moore and are not as accommodating in adjusting "firmness."

Jeff Frank
    Simplicity Sofas