Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Stickley Furniture - Shifman Bedding

Spencer Guest

Default Stickley Furniture - Shifman Bedding

We need to replace our king mattress set and have been overwhelmed at the variety of mattresses in the marketplace. We would like to replace our old mattress (Gold Bond-conventional inner spring) with a similar type. We've decided not to buy another Gold Bond mattress as the quality isn't the same as it once was many years ago.

From what I've read, Bloomingdales sells a "variation" of Shifman mattresses (a promotional line unique to Bloomingdales?). I have also learned that Stickley Furniture also carries Shifman. Do they also sell a "variation" of Shifman products unique to that store? The models we viewed and tested were Rembrandt (firm) and Monet (plush). Both were sale priced at $3999. Is this a quality product? Any advice is appreciated

Default Re: Stickley Furniture - Shifman Bedding

Its been a while since I was a Shifman dealer, but I may call Mike Hammer back up (owner of Shifman) and look into carrying the line again, after getting that horrid 26% price increase from Royal Pedic that went into effect on March 1st. Its my opinion that Shifman and Royal Pedic are the two best USA-made bed makers on the market, and I've been doing R-P exclusively for the past decade. Shifman's good stuff may be just as expensive, I haven't looked at a price list for them in some time.

Having said that, Shifman's "Master's" collection is the old-school, cotton-layer line that they built their reputation upon. They offer conventional blown-poly foam groups as well and once you get into that category its just like any other mass-produced bed.

I can tell you this for certain. There is never a 'sale' at Bloomingdales furniture department. They routinely are one of the highest price stores in the country. Would you pay $ 4K for a Serta/Sealy/Simmons ? Unless its from the Masters Collection by Shifman, that's the category you are looking at grouping with.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Spencer Guest

drcollie, thanks for the response.

The salesperson at Stickley showed us the manufacturer's cut-out sample detailing the inner mattresses construction, as well as the boxspring construction. She did mention there is 3/4" or 1" natural latex inside the mattress (depending on model). It also has 3 or 4 layers of cotton felt upholstery (depending on model). She also copied the mattress spec sheet for us to review. It contains the model and tick numbers. I don't see any reference to "blown-poly foam" on these spec sheet. The Shifman website offers limited information on model names/numbers which makes it hard to confirm that the mattress we are considering is one of their top of the line models.

The salesperson did say that once we order the mattress, that it would take about 4 weeks to arrive. They do not stock any Shifman mattress, merely have the floor models as samples. All mattress are made to order. Does this sound right? With the exception of calling the salesperson, is there anything I should be looking for to confirm this is better quality than the shifman mattresses offered by Bloomingdales? If this is the best way to confirm, I'll make that call.

I've seen the Serta/Sealys/Simmons mattresses. They leave me more confused. Those brands are my last resort at this moment. And no, I would not pay $4000 for one of those mattresses.

Quote Originally Posted by Spencer View Post
    drcollie, thanks for the response.

The salesperson at Stickley showed us the manufacturer's cut-out sample detailing the inner mattresses construction, as well as the boxspring construction. She did mention there is 3/4" or 1" natural latex inside the mattress (depending on model). It also has 3 or 4 layers of cotton felt upholstery (depending on model). She also copied the mattress spec sheet for us to review. It contains the model and tick numbers. I don't see any reference to "blown-poly foam" on these spec sheet. The Shifman website offers limited information on model names/numbers which makes it hard to confirm that the mattress we are considering is one of their top of the line models.

The salesperson did say that once we order the mattress, that it would take about 4 weeks to arrive. They do not stock any Shifman mattress, merely have the floor models as samples. All mattress are made to order. Does this sound right? With the exception of calling the salesperson, is there anything I should be looking for to confirm this is better quality than the shifman mattresses offered by Bloomingdales? If this is the best way to confirm, I'll make that call.

I've seen the Serta/Sealys/Simmons mattresses. They leave me more confused. Those brands are my last resort at this moment. And no, I would not pay $4000 for one of those mattresses.
    It sounds good from your description, and I've not looked at the line in detail in a few years so I cannot say with certainty what it is you are looking at, but for a time Shifman was doing a high build unit and a low build unit. I had both in my store and there was a noticeable difference to the high build unit.

My wife and I replace our bedding sets every 15 years with these all-cotton units (they will last longer than conventional bedding), and though we now sleep on a Royal Pedic, our prior set was a Shifman from the Masters series. The cotton interior beds (also natural latex) don't suffer the internal breakdown from the mass-produced 'S' beds and usuable lifespan is about double.

4 weeks is about right. Shifman is made right near the Newark NJ Airport and done to order.
    Duane Collie

Spencer Guest

Thanks for taking the time to reply to my posts. I do appreciate it very much. I hope to place the order before the week is out as I'm not sure when the sale ends.

Thanks again

Liz R Guest

Hi Duane,

I'm glad to see that you recommend Shifman mattresses. My husband and I bought one yesterday (on sale but still extremely expensive) and I'm glad you think they are worth the price. We got one with a removable pillow top. I value your opinion and hope you write a book about what to look for when buying furniture for all of us shoppers.

HA! This forum *IS* my book (without all the good stories, wait until I retire for those).....

You will enjoy that Shifman, its a premium bed and it will last a long time. Be sure to rotate and flip it 3 to 4 times a year.
    Duane Collie

Nosila Guest

Hi All,
    I am wondering if anyone has purchased the Shifman "Monet" model and if so, what you think of it after sleeping on it for a few years?
    Thanks!

Shifman builds an excellent product. Along with Royal Pedic, I think they are the best beds in the country.
    Duane Collie

Spencer Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Nosila View Post
    Hi All,
    I am wondering if anyone has purchased the Shifman "Monet" model and if so, what you think of it after sleeping on it for a few years?
    Thanks!
    Hi,

I have a Shifman Monet king mattress purchased March 2010. I still love it and sleep well on it. I flip/rotate it as required. So far so good.

Helen