Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Stickley Furniture - Shifman Bedding

Nosila Guest

Default Re: Stickley Furniture - Shifman Bedding

Thank you for sharing. That helps a lot! Has it softened up at all? Or is it just as supportive?
    Thanks!

Spencer Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Nosila View Post
    Thank you for sharing. That helps a lot! Has it softened up at all? Or is it just as supportive?
    Thanks!
    There is some "give" since 2010 but not much. We have flipped/rotated as required and have had no issues. It's a big beast to move around so have extra hands around when you do this. Overall, I have very happy with the mattress and would do it all over again. My daughter needs a new mattress and I will be pushing this brand on her

Judyg951 Guest

I'm currently doing research on a new bed since mine is 10 years old and has that "ridge" that Duane mentioned. We currently have a Kluft bed. It's a few months away from the 10 year mark so I guess it's used up now?

We really loved the bed but it's done. I would like to look at Royal Pedic just to compare it to Kluft, and Shifman. Blomingdales carried both of these brands and they do have good sales going a few times a year. Is there anything particular I should be looking for?

Hi Judy, you are so close to the main showroom of Royal Pedic in Beverly Hills why not just make a trip over there and talk to either Tony (the owner) or Charlotte about them?

Yes, the ridge in the middle means the bed is done. Finis.

Bloomingdales may be the most expensive place around to buy a premium bed. Their 'sales' are not as good as everyday prices from little mom n' pop stores like mine. In fact, I lost my Shifman account because I was undercutting Bloomie's prices so severely that they complained to Mike Hammer, owner of Shipman and said "Its either The Keeping Room or us, pick one!" Of course, Bloomie's won that one - but I used to sell a lot of Shifmans. Royal Pedic is built the same way as their Master's Collection.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Judyg951 Guest

Hi Duane, thanks for your reply.

We bought our mattress at a local chain. If the depression in the mattress is 1 1/2" or more they say that it is defective. Ours is 1 3/8ths. The store is contacting the manufacturer to see if they will cover it since we are only 1/8th off. We both kind of doubt that anything will be done with a warranty now so close to the 10 year end. It's doubtful, but you never know.
    We will have to go and check out Royal Pedic. No one anywhere close to us carries them so a day trip into L.A. will be the next thing we will have to do.

I doubt at 10 years if they will warranty it, but you never know. Most every warranty I have ever read on bedding excludes compression as its normal wear and tear - but you may get lucky.
    Duane Collie

Judyg951 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    I doubt at 10 years if they will warranty it, but you never know. Most every warranty I have ever read on bedding excludes compression as its normal wear and tear - but you may get lucky.

Well as expected they didn't warranty it, but it didn't hurt to try. Oh well. Time to start doing our research on a new one.

One thing you will find about the Royal Pedics and Shifman brands (and there are others) is that because they are made of cotton instead of foam, they never ridge. NEVER. You do need to flip them every 4 to 6 months like any mattress, but they maintain their form even when 15 to 20 years old. I replace my mattress appx every 15 to 17 years, just because its time. On the cotton beds, when they get that old they lose some overall firmness but otherwise look fine. You really can't tell until you have a new one in the house and that's when you notice it. Some people use the all-cottons past 20 years, but really its time to replace them at that 15 year mark at the latest, I feel. My current Royal Pedic is 2 years old, the one before it was 16 years.
    Duane Collie

Judyg951 Guest

The only place on So Ca that carries Shifman is Bloomingdales. If I want to look at them I need to go there. I have no idea on prices, but they do carry their hand made mattresses as well as their less expensive line. I'm going to have to make a trip into L.A. to look at Royal Pedic as well.

Bloomies is probably the most expensive place there is to buy a Shifman - don't get taken in by a 'sale' on them. Only the Shifman Masters Collection is built like the Royal Pedic, they have low-lines models that carry the Shifman label but the internal build quality is like every other mass-produced bed.
    Duane Collie