Thread: New Member - clueless!

CO DOC Guest

Default New Member - clueless!

This is my first posting and I have to say how thankful I am for this forum and all of the information and knowledge that is shared by everyone!

I will start by stating that I have 3 people in the house. I am 6'2" 320, she is 5'1", and the 3 y/o is just tiny, LOL.

I have been searching within a 50 mile radius for new furniture and have come up confused. I was looking at Flexsteel and was almost sold until I found out I was being lied to. The dealer(s) were trying to push their Latitudes line while quoting Flexsteel warranty and MADE IN USA. I prefer not to buy Flexsteel now seeing is that multiple dealers implied this and I can only believe it is coming from HQ.

With that being said, I am searching something that is within budget. I have 3600 cash, so I was looking at something in the 4-4200 price marked range as cash generally gets you a better deal.

I am searching for just a conversation sofa OR sofa / loveseat combo. The Flexsteel conversation sofa we were looking at was 118-120", which would be PERFECT for our living room.

#1 - Comfort
    #2 - Durability

I have also asked each store what material they suggest due to having the child. All suggested leather or microfiber. I am hoping to "step up to the plate" and purchase a high quality leather.

Taste - Seeking "extreme" casual. Something I'm not afraid to sit in, lol.
    Liked the style of
    - Flexsteel Latitudes South Street
    - Flexsteel Marietta
    - Flexsteel Vail

So, with all the higher knowledge on this board, what do you all suggest???

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by CO DOC; 03-10-2010 at 03:34 PM.

CO DOC Guest

Default Re: New Member - clueless!

H&M seems to be huge on this site, which I can see why based on the reviews. I have found this sofa, but cannot find what style it is

mybs Guest

Hancock and Moore certainly build a great product. While the durability is likely unquestioned, comfort can depend on personal preference as well as your particular body. With the significant height difference between yourself and your wife, ANY sofa will likely need to be a compromise between being more comfortable for yourself vs more comfortable for your wife. I'll let others chime in who have greater experience with this.

As far as I can tell, most H&M dealers do not offer significant discounts on cash purchases (based upon visits to 5 local dealers in CA). That said, the price differences between these dealers can also be quite significant (>2000 dollars in one particular case for a single sofa), so shopping around can certainly be key to getting the most out of your cash.

My suggestion would be to look through the H&M Town and Country line as these sofas (in leather) will be closest to your current budget if you have your heart set on H&M. I know that Duane often suggests looking into Bradington Young as a lower priced alternative manufacturer.

You may also want to go with a protected leather instead of full aniline dyed so that you'll be more at ease with using the sofa rather than trying to keep it obsessively clean. This can be especially important if the pieces are being used in the family room with young children rather than a formal living room.

Good luck on your search!

Its interesting, I had Del Starnes, C.O.O. of Taylor King in my store today with Chris Cunningham, my sales rep and we were discussing this very thing. I'm trying to encourage a high-end upholstery maker to make an 'adjustable sofa' that fits tall men and short women equally well. The concept would not be unlike having a motorized car seat mechanism on one side of the sofa so the ladies can bring their side down and forward to have their feet touch the ground. Until that occurs (if ever!) then you'll always be at some compromise on a sofa that fits you both well.

Leather will outlast ANY fabric four to one, and though you will pay more for it on the front end, it will have a lower cost of ownership over the usable lifespan of the piece due to the toughness of the cover. Most properly made, high-quality frames will have no trouble with handling up to a 400 lb person without degrading the frame or springs. Good furniture is still steel banded in both directions underneath, with hardwood frames. Flexsteel takes a different path and uses a different method of construction, with plywood in most their pieces. Plywood is strong enough, but flexes whereas hardwood frames do not. So you will have some 'racking' in any plywood framed piece.

You might have to come up with a little more budget to get a pair of high quality leather pieces, sorry. Look at the Hancock and Moore # 9502 / # 9503 Kodiak Sofa & Sofa, that's one you might like. Should be comfortable for you and your wife both (she might have to put a pillow behind her lower back to not sit quite so deep). Around $ 2,750 for that sofa in the Town and Country collection in either sofa or loveseat size, plus shipping.

Microfibers are nothing more than super-thin 100% Polyester woven material. It doesn't last longer, but because its so thin it doesn't hold dirt and stains, and therefore it easier to keep clean. It will still wear out at almost the same rate as conventional Polyester fabric...might last a little longer.

As to cash discounts...won't be that much. I currently average paying 2.5% on Mastercard and Visa charges which on $ 3,000 means $ 75 is what I pay to process a charge. I typically will split that with a customer and give them a 1.25% discount for cash/check or $ 37.50 on that same $ 3K if they ask for one. That's about typical for most furniture stores, so there's not a lot to he had there.

Flexsteel Lattitudes is 100% made in China. The regular line of Flexsteel is USA-made. I think more than anything its local dealers that don't have an in-depth product knowledge of what they sell is all. Certainly Flexsteel doesn't put 'Made In China" on its sales materials and the salespeople probably don't unpack the furniture the way I do and never see the box it comes in. I am not impressed with any of the 'made in China' leather furniture, from any of the makers, however, and do not carry it in my store.

Sorry, I don't recognize that photo - its not anything current in H&M.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

CO DOC Guest

Appreciate the response.

I guess I forgot to add in my original post that these will be used in the family room. The pieces of furniture will see "abuse" everyday.

I do not have my heart set on anything thus far. My heart was broken when I found I was being lied to about Flexsteel, so I need to find some new furniture to mend my broken heart!

Thanks for your reply Duane, I will show that model to the other half. As for the cash discount, every place we have been to thus far offers 10% cash discount across the board.

I just happened to find a H&M dealer about 60 miles from me. Looks like I will be taking a road trip in the near future!
    Last edited by CO DOC; 03-10-2010 at 07:08 PM.

ckeefer Guest

I just wanted to chime in to say that the Kodiak sofa Duane recommended is really very comfortable! My husband and I are currently awaiting our delivery of ours, although we ordered chairs instead of the love seat, and also didn't go with the T & C program leather. My husband and I are both average height, but our weights are significantly different and we have different ideas of what is most important for comfort...this couch meets both our needs. I understand your concern over it being in a family room and around kids, we do not have kids yet but this will be our family room furniture and receive constant, daily use. We also have plenty of kids who will be climbing on it and we are not concerned at all, the construction is so good on them, and the leathers are much more durable than you think. We got an unprotected leather and my husband put everything on the sample he could find, even Olive Oil...although the oil originally stained it after about 2 weeks it has completely disappeared, with not trace and no attempt to clean it from us. My advice is keep an open mind, I always was leery of leather and how it stains, but I was definitely proven wrong!

CO DOC Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ckeefer View Post
    and also didn't go with the T & C program leather.
    What is this "program leather" that is referenced?

Its most likely that the folks trying to sell you Flexsteel simply aren't aware of the country of origin of the Latitudes collection, rather than lying to you. If you take a Flexsteel Latitudes sales book out the very most it might say is 'imported', if it says that at all. I don't know anyone in the trade that outright lies, but there sure are a lot that may not be very knowledgeable.

Good furniture takes hard use far better than inexpensive furniture. It simply won't break down, though at 320 lbs I can pretty much guarantee you that you will be going through cushion cores on a regular basis. Check to see what the policy is on those as well - better companies will give you lifetime free replacements. If you have to buy them, plan on $ 120 per seat or more.

10% cash discount off what? Off their already inflated prices? You have to look at bottom line prices....net - net. A Mastercard/Visa/Discover processing fee for a merchant is between 1.6 % and 3.0 % for even the largest stores. American Express is closer to 3.5%. So why would a store want to give you 10 % when the very MOST they can save is 3.5% for a cash payment? With your cash or check, they have to go to the bank and take a chance on your check bouncing as well, whereas credit card processing funds quicker and is easier. For that reason, don't expect the whole amount as a cash discount, either. If they are offering you 10% off for cash/check that should ping an alarm bell because its way too much.

Here's all about the Hancock and Moore Town and Country program and available leathers:

http://myfurnitureforum.com/showthread.php?t=273
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

ckeefer Guest

Duane answered your question about the Town and Country Program. Hope you find what you are looking for, I know my husband and I spent months researching and making sure we made the right decision.