Thread: Midlife Crisis Car

Talking Midlife Crisis Car

SEE: http://abcnews.go.com/Business/LifeS...3231797&page=3

Race Fate In Your Midlife Crisis Car

So You Want That Dream Car? Here's What You Need To Know.

Would you rather not race against Fate? Then tempt it with a midlife toy that comes with a slightly dangerous reputation.

A two-wheeled adrenaline shot from the Harley-Davidson Motor Company can be yours for less than the price of many economy cars that get 50 YPM (yawns per mile).

"What goes through the mind of the midlife crisis wannabe biker?" says 53-year-old Duane Collie, a motorcycle enthusiast from Fairfax, Va. "I'll tell ya what -- it's a last shot to recapture the virility of youth before arthritis sets in and counting out blood pressure pills becomes the norm."

Collie jokes that he had his midlife crisis at age 15 -- he has ridden motorcycles ever since. But he has seen "thousands" of slightly gray, first-time riders fall for the romance of the biker lifestyle.

"The midlife crisis biker seeks respect," says Collie. "He wants people to be just a little bit afraid of him. He wants to stand out in a crowd. He wants to make some noise. No company understands that better than Harley-Davidson, and they're marketing geniuses. They can, and will, sell you every aspect of the biker lifestyle."

New bikers may get their thrills from a black leather vest and a membership card in the local Harley Owners Group, even while their bikes hide under tarps in the garage, on their way toward an appearance on eBay, he says.

"But for the select few that become riders instead of bikers, nothing is more fun than taking a motorcycle through a mountain pass with Mother Nature all around," says Collie. "You see and smell things you'll never experience from a car, even a convertible. The interaction between man and motorcycle is unique, and you can remember back to when you were 10 years old and flying your bike down the biggest hill in town, hair on fire and heart in your throat. That's what it's truly like to be on the motorcycle at 50 years young, except you don't have to pedal."

So there's the wisdom of the asphalt: Don't outrun your destiny on the open road -- find it.

Default Re: Midlife Crisis Car

OMG...forgot I did that interview. You guys are bad .... digging up my past on GOOGLE!
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

We bad!!! Bet it made you smile though, didn't it?

Yes it did. I have a pal who knows an ABC News Reporter and they were looking for someone to interview, so I was 'volunteered' by my buddy to do that. Glad I didn't say anything inappropriate!
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

organic_smallhome Guest

So funny.