Article in the March 15, 2010 Furniture Today (trade magazine) by Gary Evans "Fabric Protection Suppliers Eyeing Growth".

This article addresses the high profitability of fabric and leather protection programs for retail stores and how many stores (such as mine) do not sell it, thereby opening the door for market expansion. One reason I have never sold it is because I don't believe in it. A can of Scotchguard you can buy at the store for $ 7 is as good as any product these sellers have.

Warranty? Well a lot of these fabric protection companies go bust (like the old automotive rust coating companies of the 70's and 80's) such as the massive failure of StainSafe (Global Solutions) in 2009. When they go under... !POOF!...there is no place to turn to for a warranty claim.

Traditionally, there has always been a 'wet warranty' where an actual product is applied to the fabric or leather by the store. Now the article states there is a move to a 'dry warranty' where nothing is applied at all. Imagine that. A protection warranty where there is no actual top-coating applied. Basically at that point its a game of claims and percentages at that point, though I guess not unlike what Best Buy offers on electronics purchases (buy a 2 or 3 year extended protection plan on your computer, etc.) So what does everyone think of that? Would you want to buy a protection warranty on your fabric or leather covering as added insurance, knowing there is nothing applied to it?