Thread: Buying my first sofa and I need advice

lawdog1212 Guest

Default Buying my first sofa and I need advice

I'm a single 25 yr old student looking to buy my first sofa with a budget of $2000. This whole process has become quite overwhelming as there's so much to learn about furniture in general. I understand that the high quality furniture is out of my budget, but I was hoping someone could offer guidance with my decision. I've looked into Flexsteel, Palliser, Bernhardt, and Lazyboy thus far although I wasn't impressed with Lazyboys quality when I opened the cushions and checked out the frames and craftsmanship of their sofa recliners (they have the back flap you can lift up to get a good view). Thanks for your help!

David

Default Re: Buying my first sofa and I need advice

One of the tricks when working in a strict budget is to cruise the various stores in your area and look for marked down floor models or 1-shot deals they might have. Every store has them. Decide first among the brands and style you want, then go shopping! In my store, for example, I have at least (4) sofas that are $ 1,000 less money than if you were to order them

Example: A Hancock and Moore Evening Sofa in GR 3 leather that would cost $ 4,538 if someone were to talk in and order it, I have it priced at $ 2,999 because I was able to get a deal on that particular unit. Of course, you have to like the style and color, but if you look around , you'll find them. Be sure you have some idea of what you want before you go into the store, though.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

It seems here in Canada, that La-Z-Boy has 2 grades of furniture:

1) The offerings in the La-Z-Boy Galleries, this seems to be not too bad; protected leather on most surfaces.

2) furniture marked La-Z-Boy in other stores, but is just horrible furniture; with vinyl and splits on non-touch surfaces (IE, side of cushions/sides/backs) and poorly designed manufacturing.

I went to a local outlet here, and they had both Palliser and LB. The Palliser seemed to be a little higher on the furniture food chain. If I had to guess, I would say the LB was from China/Off-shore and the Palliser from Mexico. Apparently, Palliser from Manitoba Canada is decent.

neelo Guest

Hi Duane,

can you please let me know id you still have the evening sofa on the floor. if yes what is the leather type/name.

and if you cans end me pics of it it would bne great.

thanks

I still do! The leather is Payson Chino, a USA-tannery hide that was a GR3 I was able to get this one sofa at a closeout leather price and it cannot be duplicated. This one only is $ 2,999. Photos is here on the site:

http://www.myfurnitureforum.com/show...n-Payson-Chino
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

elementscf Guest

Smile Re: Buying my first sofa and I need advice

Hey! also what kind of style were you looking for? like more of a contemporary look and feel or just something comfortable? I know contemporary ones usually run a little higher but I'm sure I can find one for you if thats what you'd like!

evan

www.elementscf.com