Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: We've got TROUBLE....

Default We've got TROUBLE....

The newest addition to our family, we drove 4 hours on Sunday to Foxcreek Kennels on the North Carolina border to pick up this little guy, 11 weeks of fireball energy and constant motion (of course he's in the front of the video, he's a West Highland Terrier).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLsp79iSm8E

Quite a change of pace from our hugely laid-back Cavalier King Charles Spaniel we had for fifteen years. This pup moves around more in 5 minutes than the old Cav did all day. My wife and I look at each other and wonder if we can keep up with it ? Our teen kids are madly in love with him....still working on a name.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

dwainw Guest

Default Re: We've got TROUBLE....

I've been around a lot of dogs over the years, but nothing beasts a Westie. Congrats!

organic_smallhome Guest

I adore Westies. Congrats, Duane.
    Last edited by organic_smallhome; 04-16-2010 at 07:08 PM.

Foxcreek is not a puppy mill. You have to be careful before you make broad statements like that on a public forum....

http://www.foxcreekkennel.com/

They have a whole line of champions and probably more ribbons than I could count. They breed and show Westies, Cairns, Scotties and Bison Friches. Saw the Mom....pup's Dad was out on the show circuit, and she never studs her dogs or used outside her breeding line. Members of the Westie Club of America, they're in the circuit and the other breeders know them as well. Jessica is also active in all her breed's rescue leagues.

This is my 4th dog, so I'm not new at this and did my research for nearly 6 months, but appreciate the concern.
    Duane Collie

If you plan to solicit names from the Forum, I suggest "Keeper". Congrats on the dog.

artielange Guest

Good luck with your pup
    Last edited by artielange; 04-13-2010 at 11:05 AM.

ckeefer Guest

Absolutely adorable! I have a friend with a Westie (it's their second one) and it is the cutest, peppiest little thing! I can't wait to someday have a dog around to keep me company...do you know, are Westies hunting dogs?

They're part of the Terrier family, cousin to the Cairn Terrier (same basic dog, just the Cairn is brown/black and the Westie all-white). The were bred to be 'ratters' and are hard-wired to go after any squirrel, mouse, rat, even fox. They just go bonkers if they see a squirrel, for instance. Big diggers, they have no fear tunneling after vermin which is why that have the big, sturdy 'carrot' tail, so the owner can pull them out of the hole if needed. They're a big dog in a small dog package, stubborn, smart and independent.

"Sammy" took only 40 seconds to figure out how to slide between the bars of the baby gate that took me an hour to set up and make 'puppy proof'. Put it up, said to my wife "that will hold him" and next thing I turned around and there he was escaped from the kitchen and in the family room.
    Duane Collie

ckeefer Guest

Thanks for the info! Seems like you definitely have your hands full!

Hope the pooch doesnt have a love of fine leather to chew on!
    Years ago we bought the "perfect apartment dog" according to Better Homes and Gardens"
    The Basenji...dont bark, doesnt shed and smells like popcorn...
    YUP!
    Eats wood, loved eating seat bases and used Kleenex. and runs away every chance it gets! We loved it for the one year. luckily the breeder wanted her back and I believe she became a champion! .... Applause!! It was a great looking creature!
    Paul