Thread: Leather classification

Default Leather classification

I was wondering if there is a difference in leather classification between different manufacturers. For example is a class 2 the same quality between H&M and BY or Leathercraft. Is there a standard code or is it simply up to each builder.

Default Re: Leather classification

Good question, and one I've been meaning to address.

When you see a leather "Class" or "Grade" that refers to pricing levels, not leather quality. A higher grade or class doesn't mean a better leather, just a more expensive one.

European leathers will be the most expensive. Why? Three reasons: 1) Workers make more in Europe than in other parts of the world. 2) Hides are usually superior, because they don't use barbed wire in Europe and the bugs are not severe as in other countries. Less marks on the hides. 3) The Euro is strong against the US Dollar.

Leathers from China are less expensive. 1) The Yuan is tied to the US Dollar. 2) Tannery workers make .50 an hour 3) They are not know for high-quailty hides.

And then you have a lot of hides in the middle.

I'd say that in very general terms, the more you pay for a leather, then the odds are it will be nicer, but its not a rule. An example is Columbia series in H&M (Grade 1), which I would much rather have than many of the higher-priced Grade 2 hides such as Rancho, or Document.

Its not easy to select leathers. There are lots of choices and likely to be more as leather furniture is expanding as a category, not declining. Learn as much as you can about leather, find a good store to work with where they KNOW their leather, and then decide what suits your lifestyle and budget as part of the selection process.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.