Thread: Bradington Young Office Chair on its last legs

Default Bradington Young Office Chair on its last legs

My ole faithful Bradington Young leather office chair that I have used at my desk in the store since 1989 is finally giving it up. 21 years old and its time to get replaced, it developed a wobble last week and leans forward and to the left, and its too old to try to repair it. I certainly got my money's worth out of it.

B-Y doesn't build many office chairs styles any more, so the new one will be a Hancock and Moore model # 9177 ST-PL in Weston Ebony, a GR 2 leather that comes out of Germany. I find I like this chair the best of all the models for comfort and long hours at the desk. I resisted the urge to put an exotic leather on it (though I seriously toyed with using Bighorn Ebony, a GR5 hide made from the Bighorn Sheep), and am going for a leather than is technically unprotected, but one I expect to age gracefully over the years.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Default Re: Bradington Young Office Chair on its last legs

Boring choice.

dwainw Guest

That design in black does seem rather sedate. If you only get the chance to replace it every 20 years, I would think you would want to 'go for it'.

ta_billy Guest

Don't worry Duane, I clearly read that find this model the most comfortable for hours of use

You could commission a set for racing strips or tribal flames to appease the masses

HA! Exactly.... I don't mind experimenting on a chair, and cover, but not on one that I plan to sit in about 6 hours of every workday, 6 days a week, for as long as I own this business (another 20 years). I'm going with the sure thing. Experiments are for the living or family room, not the all-important desk chair.
    Duane Collie

dwainw Guest

Of course, if your experiment didn't work out just the way you wanted you could always, I don't know, sell it? I hear craigslist works well!

Gee, I suppose I know where I could unload one, eh?

I changed the leather on my chair to one of my very favorites, Upton Cafe. The Weston Ebony was out of stock, and the ole BY chair is going to collapse any day now (like most everyone else, I waited too long to replace it) so I'm going for a hide in stock and having it quick-shipped before I wind up on the floor.
    Duane Collie

My new chair arrived Monday from H&M. They old Bradington Young didn't make it to the end, and broke in half twelve days ago. I'd been sitting on some Office Depot cheapie (it truly was horrid) since then and don't begrudge the BY for breaking, it lasted nearly 20 years under HARD and constant use, I got my money's worth.

I was VERY excited to see my new chair get here (now I know how the rest of you feel when you get your new pieces). Pulled it out of the box, wheeled it in the back and.....and....well, I didn't like it very much. It sat off, the mechanism was brutally stiff, and the angles all wrong. Hmmm....not good. I have to have a great chair, not just one that is average...because I use it 6 days a week, 8 to 10 hours a day. I was going to call my dealer and complain - but hey! I am the dealer!

First couple of hours with it and I'm miserable. Something is wrong with this chair. The crown on the seat is awful, its tilted too far forward as well - I feel like I'm falling forward in it. I thinking about just rolling it out to the sales floor and put it up for sale. But then I decide to spend some time with the adjustments, and in about half an hour of balancing this adjustment and then another one, its now tolerable.

Tues., Wed., Thurs and now its Friday and I'm very much liking this chair. After about 20 hours use, the seat cushion has settled "broke in" and now its got just the right 'pocket' in it. The Upton Cafe leather has exercised some of its 'pull up' effects with use and looks great now as well....I wasn't real happy with it out of the box. Just goes to show that sometimes you have to let a new piece 'settle in' a bit and get it working, and get used to it.

Now its a a Great Chair and I'm very pleased with it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Office1.jpg 
Views:	447 
Size:	124.9 KB 
ID:	1256  
    Duane Collie