Thread: $2K Sofa for a family with a cat?

bromeliad Guest

Default $2K Sofa for a family with a cat?

This is one of the best furniture forums I have seen online--incredibly informative.

I have moseyed on over from the leather section because I have decided that with a cat, I just cannot take a chance on buying a leather sofa, so fabric it is.

Here are the relevant facts:
    I have a ceiling of $2K to spend on a sofa for our living room. I have an energetic little boy, a tall husband with allergies, and a cat. We prefer somewhat contemporary design (e.g., our last furniture purchase was a Danish mid-century teak dining table) with clean lines and trim proportions, not poufy, not "shabby chic." But, I do like the idea of slipcovers--if they exist for more contemporary style sofas.

Any suggestions for sofas and/or fabric? We live in Washington, DC. (And yes, I will definitely check out Duane's store. Even though it is traditional, who could resist?!?)

kls_spencer Guest

Default Re: $2K Sofa for family w/cat?

Have you been to Vastu? The address is 1829 14th Street NW in DC.

bromeliad Guest

I've been to Vastu, liked the attentiveness of the staff, but the salesperson I worked with seemed to have very limited knowledge about sofas generally. They seem to carry only one line of upholstered sofas--Michael Anthony (or Anthony Michael?) based in LA, and the sales person I talked to didn't seem to know much about sofas beyond what this single line offered in terms of style and fabric options. I felt like I knew more than she did, just by reading forums (like this one!) online and some background research.

Take a look in this grouping, well-made and should dovetail with your budget.

http://www.taylorking.com/products.p...ochure1&m=12!0
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

harland Guest

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    Take a look in this grouping, well-made and should dovetail with your budget.

http://www.taylorking.com/products.p...ochure1&m=12!0
    To the OP, we have a Taylor King fabric upholstered sofa in our living room and it is very comfortable to sit (or lounge) on. I believe our model is the 'Ashbery'. Can't comment on the durability with respect to cats but our hamster hasn't sunk his teeth into it!