Thread: Farmhouse Table

Durham10 Guest

Default Farmhouse Table

Hello Duane!

First of all, thank you very much for this wonderful forum. My husband and I are in our late 20s and know very little about furniture, so this is quite helpful!

We have been looking for a quality, large, farmhouse-style table for our everyday use. We'd like to find something that will last years with the proper care. As we live in NC, we have had the fortune to visit High Point; however, we have been unable to find anything that we really like (maybe we are just ignorant to quality brands).

Moving forward, we are considering a table from Simply Amish (I've read your posts on this company) or a local company, Design Workshop, Inc. http://designworkshop.us/ Design Workshop appears to be legitimate, but can you provide me with either your opinion on this brand or with insight on how I can assess the quality of a local, independant manufacturer?

Any insight would be appreciated!

Default Re: Farmhouse Table

The forum is a great place to learn.....read about what makes good furniture and in short order you will know more about quality construction that 90% of all furniture salesmen you encounter.

I looked at Design Workshops website, but I can't really evaluate it without seeing detail photos of the bottom of the tables to determine construction. From the photos they do have, it appears unremarkable and typical production line furniture. For some reason, I get the sense its imported and their website simply copies another. Maybe not.....hard to tell.

Here's a very long post I made to the Garden Web forum years ago, that deals with construction and how to tell good from bad:

http://www.thathomesite.com/forums/l...08955.html?102

I've recently signed on to carry Mackenize Dow, and I like their product from what little I have seen of it:

http://www.mackenziedow.com/

I have one of the best custom cabinentmakers around in southern VA, so we can always do a custom built-to-order table for you if you like.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

giacovelli Guest

Default Re: Farmhouse Table

This forum is great, of what I've seen so far! I'm also new to the bunch but I
    can see the post are very thoughtful and contain reliable info.

I've lived in Amish country, PA for much of my life so I've learned a thing or two about poor quality and top quality.
    Most people think Amish= top quality but that's not always true so be cautious.
    I've never seen Simply Amish furniture in person but their website makes it look beautiful!
    To ensure heirloom quality here are a few basic things to watch for when looking for a dining table...

#1 is construction: Same hardwood used on every part of the table,
    Bolted & Screwed Corner Block assembly under the table which prevents wobbling,
    Skirting Support Blocks, and Grain matching. Flexible glue= no creaking.
    Warranty is a must, you may never need it but it shows confidence in their quality

#2 is finish: Conversion Varnish is the way to go. Resistant to most household chemicals,
    so no permanent stains or damage. Its also a more solid finish which means better protection from everyday scratches
    and fewer coats so you see the wood not the finish! Plus its low in Hazardous Air Pollutants.
    Finished everywhere, even where you can't see!!

Hope this brief summary helps a little, there is a lot to learn!