Thread: The right thing...

Default The right thing...

I put a complex order in for a customer on a some furniture last week, and the price sheet on it was extremely confusing from this particular maker. i wrote the order up and submitted it, and a few days later that customer service rep called me to tell me that I had written down too high a cost on the purchase order, that it wasn't that expensive, and adjusted it downwards for several hundred dollars. I said "Thanks for catching that, I'll have to revise the price to the customer". To my shock, she said "I wouldn't, keep the money if the customer agreed to the price." I pondered that comment for a minute or two, but never seriously considered it. I overcharged the customer through a pricing error, plain and simple because their pricing book is excessively complicated. Whether the customer agreed to the price at time of order was of no consequence, the right thing to do it revise the work order and so I did, reducing the price of the order to the correct amount of some $ 400 less than originally written. I was pretty shocked that it was suggested to keep the overcharge.

Had a second order ship from Hancock and Moore to a customer in New York and the billing paperwork arrived today. A quick glance at the sheet and the loveseat on the order qualified for Town and Country pricing, so there was $ 414 less on that order that I was able to give back to the customer, though they weren't expecting it. A nice Bennie for them. I suppose that some would be surprised that I do that and its bad business to 'leave money on the table', but I just think it the right thing to do.

Then of course there was the order than came in from Canada this week, and I transposed the numbers for the sofa on the customer's work order. It was supposed to be something like $ 2,807 and I had written it $ 2,087. Whoops! So I send them a revised copy and said I made a mistake in keypunching and $ 2807 was the correct price. On their original quote I had the correct price of $ 2,807 so I hope they understand it was just a little dyslexia kicking in when I sent them their paperwork.

Guess what goes around, comes around!
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

mcarey Guest

Default Re: The right thing...

...and that Duane, is just one of the reasons that so many would prefer to do business with you!