Thread: H&M Evening Sofa and customization questions

Default H&M Evening Sofa and customization questions

Hey everyone, first post on this forum. I have been reading about furniture for the last two days and have probably read over 100 threads on this site. Great resource you have setup here Mr. Collie!

My wife and I are looking for a new sofa and are willing to spend a bit of money to get something nice that will last us for a while and we are looking for fabric since we have two cats. We have settled on the H&M Evening sofa after sitting in one at a local furniture store. All of the H&M stuff was noticeably better quality than other sofas we sat in. We also tried some Taylor Kings they had there but they were all much stiffer to sit in, which I was surprised at after reading the glowing comments here.

Anyway, I have read H&M offers customization options but I am having a hard time finding details on this, there is little information on their website. Some of the things we are looking at are:

We don't like the 'dust guard/slip-covered' look where the fabric hangs down to the floor, we like a clean look with the legs exposed. The salesperson said this was possible but was pretty vague about it. How would this work?

For the legs are there different options? Like blocks vs round vs pegs and different woods?

What kind of pillow options are there? The ones we sat on were very comfortable and were supposedly the standard 'ultradown' pillows. Are there better options? Will these hold up well?

Finally, is there a quick breakdown on the Town & Country program? The fabric my wife likes is part of the program, which gives the discount, but I wonder is the T&C program fabrics of lower quality?

She specifically likes one of the velvet-like ones, Cabot Olive. Any comments on how this holds up? Also the color of the samples looks much different than the color on the H&M website, is this just a matter of computer/website difference, or does it really vary that much? We like the hunter green of the sample but don't want a grayish green like on the website.

I know, a bunch of questions from a first time poster. Thanks in advance for any information or advice anyone can provide!

Default Re: H&M Evening Sofa and customization questions

Thank you! Glad you are enjoying the forum...

The Evening sofa is more plush than most Taylor Kings, its just a different approach to the softness and luxury in a give line.

I think you're referring to the skirt on the # 1514 Evening sofa as the 'dust guard'. That can be deleted and it would simply be finished at the leather model # 1667 on a bun foot. Nail trim would not be installed without an additional charge. That's not much customization and easy to do, perhaps even at no charge.

Not many options for short legs. You can take the bun foot, or perhaps a wedge. That's about it without raising the height of the sofa dramatically. All legs are made of Maple, but there are lots of color options that you can see on the H&M website.

For pillows - go to the first post here and click on the .pdf file:

http://www.myfurnitureforum.com/show...-Moore-Pillows

For a list of current Town and Country fabrics, download the .pdf file here:

http://www.myfurnitureforum.com/show...country+fabric

T&C fabrics by nature will be price friendly. That's not indicative of quality, though there are some in there they may have a loose weave, etc. I'm not in the store replying to this, so I can't look at the Cabot Olive or render an opinion on it without having the sample to look at, sorry. Never trust the computer for color accuracy. Use the H&M website to get a list of samples you would like to see, then take that sample list and ask for cuttings to be sent to you from the dealer of your choice. It only takes a few days to get the samples.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    I think you're referring to the skirt on the # 1514 Evening sofa as the 'dust guard'. That can be deleted and it would simply be finished at the leather model # 1667 on a bun foot. Nail trim would not be installed without an additional charge. That's not much customization and easy to do, perhaps even at no charge.

Not many options for short legs. You can take the bun foot, or perhaps a wedge. That's about it without raising the height of the sofa dramatically. All legs are made of Maple, but there are lots of color options that you can see on the H&M website.
    Thanks for the informative reply Duane! The 'bun' foot is the normal kind of bulb foot seen on 1667 on the H&M website, right, and like in this picture? That would be fine with us. For the color options is it basically anything on this page or is there a subset just for maple? We are replacing the wood pieces we have in the living room but haven't decided on a finish yet.

For pillows - go to the first post here and click on the .pdf file:
    I am a furniture dummy and it was late, when I said pillows I meant cushions. Any opinion on the 'ultradown' default cushions or are their better options? My wife is allergic to true down, but it is my understanding it is hypoallergenic and wrapped in a downproof material.

Quote Originally Posted by Danw99 View Post
    Thanks for the informative reply Duane! The 'bun' foot is the normal kind of bulb foot seen on 1667 on the H&M website, right, and like in this picture? That would be fine with us. For the color options is it basically anything on this page or is there a subset just for maple? We are replacing the wood pieces we have in the living room but haven't decided on a finish yet. I am a furniture dummy and it was late, when I said pillows I meant cushions. Any opinion on the 'ultradown' default cushions or are their better options? My wife is allergic to true down, but it is my understanding it is hypoallergenic and wrapped in a downproof material.
    Correct, that's the bun foot, and the finishes apply to all woods, most of which are maple.

Ultradown is more plush than the standard Dupont Quaalux cores, its really just a matter of personal preference. You're correct, under that ticking and encased in leather, there is virtually no way her allergies to down will be a factor.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Hi Duane, I sent you a PM on this last night. Thanks again for your helpful advice!