Thread: Got our new sofas today

Scout Guest

Default Got our new sofas today

September in Antelope Harness/ French pine. Well worth the wait. The sofa and love seat match, and the color swatches were accurate. I did take issue with the the delivery company, but that does not reflect negatively on Duane or H&M. I would order again in a heart beat.

Default Re: Got our new sofas today

When I come back in another life, I want to be your reincarnated as your doggie!

What was the delivery company issue and whom did we use for the service? Feedback helps me to determine which company to use in the future.

The Antelope series leathers continue to be one of the all-time best leathers, it looks very rich, very elegant.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Mahogany Bob Guest

That leather really does look great. I can see it gets the very comfortable seal of approval. How thoughtful of his pets to buy him such an elegant throne!

Scout Guest

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    When I come back in another life, I want to be your reincarnated as your doggie!

What was the delivery company issue and whom did we use for the service? Feedback helps me to determine which company to use in the future.

The Antelope series leathers continue to be one of the all-time best leathers, it looks very rich, very elegant.
    We took delivery from West Express/ Alpha and Omega. When we got the courtesy call two weeks ago, we were quoted $332. When the truck showed up at my office on Friday, I was told $423.The driver said that I could call his office, but they would be out for lunch for "a while." When I looked at the bill of lading, I saw an original amount of $332, which was marked out with $423 typed next to it. The driver told me to pay the difference in cash and I refused, sending my wife for another money order instead.

When I called A&O customer service later that afternoon, I was told that I had been misinformed. Misinformed by the same company she represents. No apologies or anything. I have a feeling they charged me extra for changing the delivery address. A little back story is necessary: It is nearly impossible to get a tractor trailer onto our ranch. When I initially ordered, we had talked about the possibility of having the sofas delivered in a smaller truck. When I got the confirmation call, I was told it would be coming on a tractor trailer, which would be a problem. So I changed the address to my warehouse, which is on the main highway in a trucker-friendly area. From there, I would put them on my truck and I would take them home myself. My father-in-law and I actually did most of the grunt work getting the sofa and love seat onto my trailer. The two "movers" whined the whole time about the heat and their long time on the road. They pretty much pushed the two pallets off (one upside down, and one on its side) onto my trailer and watched as I put the pallets upright. They couldn't close their trailer door until I moved my truck, so they started to get impatient. When I told the customer service agent that I would have to wait until I got the sofas home to unwrap for damage, she acted like I was stupid for not having the movers ride with me to my house. Yeah, that would have been a fun ride.

After it was all said and done, I don't appreciate getting shaken down from a trucking company. I will set up my own arrangements in the future.

Actually, $ 423 was the correct rate for your order into Texas. Here's the breakdown:

395 lb x .81 for Texas = $ 320
    Current Fuel Surcharge of 18% = $ 58
    Notify Charge = $ 45

When we first did the rate estimate in late January my notes were $ 404 for West Express, $ 506.91 for H&M Guaranteed Freight Program and $ 561.47 via UPS Freight. The difference between actual and quote was $ 19, and that's because the fuel surcharge was less in January than it is now. The $ 423 rate is the correct and valid charge for shipments done into Texas at this time for that amount of weight.

I called West Express to see where the $ 332 figure came from, and that was the internal cost figure of what it costs them to deliver the freight. It never should have been printed on the bill and was given to you over the phone in error.

As to the driver's complaining about heat and distance...well - they made a poor career choice if they object to that. That's the life of a long-haul trucker! Glad the pieces got there safe and sound, and they look great.
    Duane Collie

Scout Guest

Thank you for looking into that for me.

I never once disputed the $423 as being too high of a figure. I just don't like being charged without a moment's notice an amount higher than what I was quoted, especially with my feet held to the fire.

The $332 was not an estimate from West Express. It was a concrete number. I'm expected to hold to my numbers in my business, and I expect no different from those who I deal with. At least now I know what kind of profit margins they're running.

And Duane, I don't want you to think any of this is directed at you or your business. I am 100% satisfied with our dealings, and look forward to future purchases.

Not very good profit margins for sure! I sure wouldn't want to run a trucking company on that...big trucks are $$$$$ to run and maintain and insure.

I think that was all a keypunch error after talking to Chris at West Express about it. It happens.....maybe they weren't very diplomatic about it, sorry for that.

Appreciate the vote of confidence, for sure! Thanks for business.....
    Duane Collie