Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LeatherCraft cushions options

dkzzzz Guest

Default LeatherCraft cushions options

Hello DrCollie.

I selected a sofa #4160 from Leathercraft and I wonder what is your opinion on the types of cushions
    they offer.

1. Foam
    2. Foam+ feathers
    3. Foam + inner springs

I am inclined to go with the inner spring, wrapped in foam cushions. Is it a good idea or is it a potential problem down the road (when springs start to burrow their way through the soft foam)?

Default Re: LeatherCraft cushions options

Its all a matter of personal preference and what 'feel' that you like. Springs will not burrow through the foam.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

dkzzzz Guest

I like firm cushions, don't like to sink into the sofa and I would like for cushions to keep their shape longer. Does it leave feathers out of the selection? Would you recommend foam or inner springs?

Standard cores is what I normally recommend, because its simply what I like. And they will keep their shape better as well vs. down/feather cushion combos.
    Duane Collie

I'm looking at the 920 sofa and like a little softer cushion, but I want it to keep it's shape and not look frumpy since the sofa lines are so straight. How would the spring cushion be on that sofa? What would you recommend?

A spring cushion will sit more plush and also be more relaxed in appearance.
    Duane Collie

dkzzzz Guest

Thank you for your replies. I am definitely going with a standard core now. The question remains: Which Leather?
    I have to say that it is a very time consuming process to select the leather/color. I am dividing them in two categories because leathers from the same "Name" or "Group" are not the same quality. I have no idea what Leathercraft implies when they stamp bunch of leathers with, say: "Group 4"...They are not the same thickness, hand, moisture or even pigment quality.
    Leathers in the same price-group would vary in thickness greatly. I am quite frankly puzzled how two leathers from the same price category be so different ? One would be barely 1mm and another would be over 2mm.
    Rant over.

You are thinking of 'grades' of leather as 'quality' grades, when in fact they are PRICING categories. Grade 4 is "Price Grade 4", nothing more than that. A top-of-the-line hide from Argentina may be priced the same as a low-end entry hide that comes out of Italy, because of currency valuations, etc. Price structure is not really related to quality of the hide.

Your dealer is just not explaining this to you it seems.

When you buy leather you start with your lifestyle first. Aniline or Finished? Next you decide on a budget of how much you can spend. From there you branch out to color, texture and feel. Thickness really means very little overall, the number of people that can wear through any hide is astonishingly small.
    Duane Collie

dkzzzz Guest

Thank you for reminding me that. I read it before in one of your posts, but forgot. The Grade is only the price. However it does not make my life any easier, I still like the feel of full-hide, 2-3mm thick leather with all the markings, scars and texture of the real thing. It has nothing to do with being concerned about durability, it simply looks and feels much more luxurious on the frame and cushions. Unfortunately it is very rarely offered and if it is offered then it is almost an afterthought. Neither H&M nor Leathercraft even feature such leathers on their websites.
    I'll ask Leathercraft rep. if they can source their Stockholm leather in Pasadena Jute color. I won't hold my breath but may be there is a chance they would do that.

Go through your dealer of choice. You are going to run into issues by trying to work with both the dealer and the Leathercraft rep directly. First off, the Rep has no idea if that can be done. He would have to call LC at the factory, but he can't quote prices to you so there is no need to get him involved.

The dealer is your contact point, the rep is the dealers contact point (that's the system). The right way to look for a specific leather in a line (such as Stockholm in a Jute color) is for you to ask your dealer to look into it. The dealer then contacts L/C and the leather buyer can call the supplier to find out if there is another colorway they can buy close to what you want. There may even be another line of leather similar (such as Sophia) that has the color. You have to let the leather buyer do his thing to check vis a' vi the dealer request. The dealer needs to be in the loop on this so he can advise you of cost upcharges, etc. If you dealer is unwilling to do this for you - find another dealer that will.

I have done this on several occasions for customers, and we almost always can find a leather that the customer wants - though it may take a few weeks to chase it down.
    Duane Collie