Thread: Question about Restoration Hardware loveseats

woof37 Guest

Default Question about Restoration Hardware loveseats

Hi folks - hope everyone is well. 19 yr military vet and total furniture rookie here. Just moved into a new (to me) house and while my ergo perfect chair is great for my reading, wine drinking, & movie watching, it probably would be nice to give my girlfriend and family someplace to sit when they come visit. I've always loved the RH furniture, and especially the Lancaster loveseat. It's just hard to cough up $2600 plus shipping for something when you're sure it was made for them by another company and the obvious name markup. I called the "outlet" in Jawja, and they quoted me more than the website price. So, I've been doing my research probably like everyone else here, and while several possibilities and likely RH clone models were pointed out, I'm just not exactly sure and hate to buy sight unseen unless I know it's a winner. I'm not rich. Duane, I know zero about furniture building, but forums all over the internet say that you forget more about furniture on the toilet each day than I'll ever learn in my lifetime. I'd love to beg some of your expertise on the matter. Should I just save my dinar and go the RH route with that beautiful Brompton Cocoa leather, or do you have another suggestion?

Thanks for any musings on your (or anyone's) part, and happy 4th to you all. We are all blessed to be Americans. If ever you doubt that, just get yourself deployed.

Default Re: Question about Restoration Hardware loveseats

The RH pieces are not bad, but they're not cutting edge, either. At one time I believe they were made by Mitchell-Gold and its certainly better than the crap from Pottery Barn or the horribly overpriced pieces from Anthropology, however I think you can buy better furniture for same money outside the Mall stores. That Lancaster series is a basic roll-arm sofa with box cushion and straight lines. I don't think you'd get burned with it, but neither are you getting the best bang for your buck. I equate RH products to a second tier leather line , such as Bradington Young. Similar to this (about $ 2,300 plus shipping in a GR2 hide for the loveseat model):

http://www.bradington-young.com/prod...0&style=512-95

Top of the line would be like this, but its going to add about $ 1K to the RH loveseat price:

http://www.hancockandmoore.com/produ...productid=1457

So at $ 2,600, its not a bad price. If you like it, and like the way it sits, then why not?
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

woof37 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    The RH pieces are not bad, but they're not cutting edge, either. At one time I believe they were made by Mitchell-Gold and its certainly better than the crap from Pottery Barn or the horribly overpriced pieces from Anthropology, however I think you can buy better furniture for same money outside the Mall stores. That Lancaster series is a basic roll-arm sofa with box cushion and straight lines. I don't think you'd get burned with it, but neither are you getting the best bang for your buck. I equate RH products to a second tier leather line , such as Bradington Young. Similar to this (about $ 2,300 plus shipping in a GR2 hide for the loveseat model):

http://www.bradington-young.com/prod...0&style=512-95

Top of the line would be like this, but its going to add about $ 1K to the RH loveseat price:

http://www.hancockandmoore.com/produ...productid=1457

So at $ 2,600, its not a bad price. If you like it, and like the way it sits, then why not?
    One reason is that I keep reading the newer RH leather is made in China. In my field, you can (despite the somewhat bad press) get excellent quality circuitry and factory prototyping done in China for low $$$. But for furniture and manufactured goods, I'm not so sure and I'd much rather buy something US-made for that kind of $$$. That Hancock And Moore looks nice, but perhaps a bit plush for me...$3600 plus shipping? Ouch.

(thanks for your response btw)

RH may have changed suppliers, best thing is to ask them straight up by contacting the buyer for the chain at their HQ, not asking the local sales people (they won't know). I'd not be inclined to pay $ 2,600 for a Chinese made sofa.

You can get some USA-made H&M sofas in that price range, but have to stay in the Town and Country promos. I can pretty much guarantee you they will outperform and outlast anything from Restoration Hardware though you may have to compromise the style you want somewhat to stay in those program sofas. Take a look at the # 9840 City, the # 9749 September, # 5359 Illusion, # 4390 Metro. Those will put you in that general price range (Private Message me for exact quotes if you like).
    Duane Collie

woof37 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    RH may have changed suppliers, best thing is to ask them straight up by contacting the buyer for the chain at their HQ, not asking the local sales people (they won't know). I'd not be inclined to pay $ 2,600 for a Chinese made sofa.

You can get some USA-made H&M sofas in that price range, but have to stay in the Town and Country promos. I can pretty much guarantee you they will outperform and outlast anything from Restoration Hardware though you may have to compromise the style you want somewhat to stay in those program sofas. Take a look at the # 9840 City, the # 9749 September, # 5359 Illusion, # 4390 Metro. Those will put you in that general price range (Private Message me for exact quotes if you like).
    I like the City (didn't you say there were two City models?) and the September. Leather-wise, I'd want something Brompton Cocoa-ish (darker, color variation, patinas nicely). What do you mean by the promos?

Yes, there are two City models, the smaller 9840 and the larger 9844. Only the 9840 is in the Town and Country promo, the 9844 is going to put you back into the mid - $ 3K + price range.

"Promos" means the Hancock and Moore Town and Country promotional collection. Read about it here:

http://www.myfurnitureforum.com/show...ountry-Program

The 9840 in Cavalier Mocha will get you in a similar color and price range as the RH sofa. Won't be quite as dark, not scratch up as easily.
    Duane Collie