Thread: Chippendale Mirror by Kaplan

organic_smallhome Guest

Default Chippendale Mirror by Kaplan

I have this Chippendale reproduction mirror that I think is made of mahogany. The size is approx. 39 x22. It's in excellent condition (no chips, cracks, etc.). It's made by Kaplan furniture in Cambridge, MA, but I'm having a difficult time finding out exactly when, since I can't seem to find out much about this company. Anybody know anything about them?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN1546.jpg 
Views:	431 
Size:	196.1 KB 
ID:	1367Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN1545.JPG.jpg 
Views:	469 
Size:	56.5 KB 
ID:	1368Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN1547.jpg 
Views:	378 
Size:	185.2 KB 
ID:	1369

Default Re: Chippendale Mirror by Kaplan

I found this information on Google: "Kaplan Furniture was formed early in the 20th century around 1904/1905. In 1915 Joseph Charak joined the firm and it was called Kaplan-Charak. That partnership ended in 1919 and Charak went on to become one of the finest makers of hand made and bench made Colonial Revival furniture in America. Kaplan did the same and provided Colonial Revival reproduction furniture to the Truman White House, particularly in the private quarters."

Additional information about Kaplan Furniture is provided in the following obituary for Leon Kaplan, the founder's son. See page 15 in http://www.asidne.org/files/nesummer09interactive.pdf

organic_smallhome Guest

Default Re: Chippendale Mirror by Kaplan

Thanks, juliepooch! Interesting history. I guess the one thing I can be fairly certain of is that the mirror was made before 1960, when the company was still located in Cambridge. It's in almost perfect condition, so that's pretty remarkable for a 50-year-old mirror. Thanks again.