Thread: Long overdue review -- thank you Duane!

Raider Guest

Default Long overdue review -- thank you Duane!

Hi All,

This is a long-overdue review for my experience shopping with the Keeping Room. Duane worked with me over the course of several months, sending leather samples overseas, promptly responding to endless questions in detail, and giving much welcome advice to a first-time purchaser of "real" leather furniture.

When it came time to place my order, I appreciated Duane's honest advice -- after listening to my needs and color preferences, he actually steered me towards the class II hides I was looking at rather than the more expensive class III hides I was also considering. When we hit problems with my door size, Duane personally called H&M and figured out some very reasonably-priced custom workarounds.

As Duane knows, we had a few hiccups with the delivery service (NOT a Keepingroom company). What really impressed me was his very hands-on approach to sorting out the problem -- personally calling the owners of the delivery company, arranging for H&M to send out dyes to help repair the damage, etc.

Some 6 months after getting my pieces, I can say that the furniture (which I picked on Duane's recommendation without actually sitting in the sofa) has exceeded my expectations. I recently ran across some H&M stuff in a local shopping center, and can also say that I'm very pleased with the prices Duane offers -- at least 30% less than what I'd pay if I went with a local shop.

In sum, my experience with Duane has been very positive, and I'd recommend him to anyone looking for good leather furniture. I know there's been some discussion of local vs. long-distance retailers. I think Duane's level of service really narrows the gap between these options, and frankly, I have a hard time believing many local retailers would offer the level of service Duane did if something does go wrong with a local sale.

Pics of my pieces are below. Happy to answer any questions anyone might have about my experience!

Raider Guest

Default Re: Long overdue review -- thank you Duane!

Pics below.. Got a McNary Sofa and Author chair and ottoman
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1100193.jpg 
Views:	692 
Size:	130.8 KB 
ID:	1371   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1100195.jpg 
Views:	595 
Size:	111.7 KB 
ID:	1372  

Thanks for the great review! I think the pieces came out really well - and work excellent in the apartment. I know you originally wanted that Sundance sofa from H&M, but it just wasn't going to fit in that door..... the McNary looks really good in the room as an alternative to that Sundance. We did those in Kipling if I recall?

I try to do my best in helping with selections. I realize that for most folks this is a major purchase and the product has a long useful life span, so its important to try to get things right as much as possible. And I'm still searching for that perfect delivery service...<g>. Haven't found it yet, but I've weeded out the really bad ones!
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Raider Guest

Just an update for people wondering about Duane's after-sales service.

I recently had a nasty surprise about an inattentive parent letting their (fairly old) kid draw all over my less-than-a-year-old H&M pieces. Sent off an e-mail to Duane as a first check on what my options were. Less than 24 hours later, I got a detailed reply, and in response to a follow-up question, Duane personally called up the right guy at H&M and got back to me immediately.

Sitting in France -- thousands of miles away from my home -- it is a huge relief to be dealing with someone with the integrity, knowledge, responsiveness, and ethics of Duane. I shudder to think of what might have happened had I gone with my local "high-end" chain store that deals in H&M. Price isn't the only reason to buy from the Keeping Room -- service is every bit as important for a purchase this size, and from my experience has been excellent, even when buying long-distance from Duane.

I'm glad to do whatever I can, when I can - no matter how long after the sale. That's what customer service is all about - anyone can sell you a piece of furniture, its customer service after the sale that makes one unique. The designs drawn in permanent marker on your H&M leather just made my heart sink when you sent me the photos. The child was using your sofa as a blank canvas for her artwork, and that marker sinks into leather just like tattoos into skin.

One of the great things about Hancock and Moore is that they will re-leather the piece as needed. I almost hate to say it, but most my other upholstery companies simply say "Buy a new sofa" when that occurs. With the repair being 10% of the cost of a new sofa, its nice to have that option.

Thanks for the kind works again!
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.