Thread: Dining room table size?

lizard89 Guest

Default Dining room table size?

Hello,

I just found this site and it's great!

I'm contemplating on renting a home that has great space EXCEPT
    the dining room The dining room is a living room combo. The doorway of the
    kitchen leads right into the dining room where the width is 8" X 8". The length
    is sort of flexible because of the combo layout but I would not want to go
    longer that 9'or 10' as it would take away living room space.

My concern is by the time you pull out the chairs, they'll be no space to walk
    by. In your opinion, is this space workable for a table set to sit a mininum of
    5 or better yet 6, and if so, what size and shape would you suggest? My chairs are 17" at their widest point. The house is currently empty and it's very difficult for me to envision if this dining room is
    workable.

FYI, There is another doorway in the kitchen that leads to a hallway that if need be, we
    could walk around to the dining room.

Also, off that hallway is a bedroom that is 11x9. What are your thoughts about using that room as a dining room and if so, what size/shape table would you suggest?

Thanks everyone for your time.

Liz

Riddle Guest

Default Re: Dining room table size?

You have my sympathies! My current dining room is 8x14. 8 feet is really narrow. When people are sitting in the chairs, space to walk is a problem no matter what you do. The location of the door makes all the difference. It won't be as bad if the door is near the living room. If it's smack-dab in the middle of the wall or at the end away from the living room, space for walking in a much bigger problem.

I have a 4-foot round table, and it's definitely too big for the space. I'm considering trying a 42-inch table, but I'm not convinced that it will make that much difference in the room.

If I didn't have such a strong preference for round tables, I'd use a 30" x 60" rectangle with extra leaves. A 30" x 60" table will seat 4 people - either 2 on each of the long sides or one on each side - but there isn't much space for serving dishes in the center. To seat 6, you'd need to add width or length. You could also consider a drop leaf table, because that will help traffic flow when the table is not in use, which is most of the time.

Another option would be a banquette against the wall that is shared with the living room and moving the table off-center. That option can mean relocation the dining room light fixture though.

I'd be looking at an expandable table that you can open up as needed. There are lots on the market, depending on what style you like. Generally speaking, you need 24" space per person at the table, and an additional 24" to swing a chair out and away from a table. So doing the math your start size will be smaller, somewhere around 44" square.

Here's a table I like a lot (may not be your style) but it starts as a 43" x 40" unit and expands with a pair of 10" leaves so the 40" becomes 50"....or 60", enough for a 6 seater.

http://www.jltreharn.com/proddetail.php?prod=SDT211
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Riddle Guest

I've looked at that photo more times than I can count. Not sure that I like that it isn't exactly round, but otherwise, it's beautiful!

lizard89 Guest

Thanks all for your comments, super helpful!

Went by last night and spent $7.00 to rent a 48" fold up table and schlepped my chairs to the house to see how that arrangement would work. It was definitely a little tight but could work since this move is only temporary. I 'm just not sure how the 48" round looks in a narrow space The table I have now is 42x62 and space is about the same. The big negative with this table is the light fixture is not centered and with a round, it is.

I also am considering making the one bedroom (11X9) off the kitchen hallway the dining room and using the entire living/dining combo a great room. Not sure yet.

Please post any other ideas you think of. I really appreciate it!

elementscf Guest

Hey Liz!

I understand your situation. I know its tough when sometimes you need to squeeze through tables or chairs to get places. I grew up in a house where the dining room chairs were literally blocking the entrance to the living room. haha not fun! I'm not sure I'm envisioning your layout correctly but would it be possible to turn the living / dining room into a sort of combo room for both? I know it sounds a little odd but maybe the dining room table can bleed into the living room a little and having it a little more spread out?

Or maybe use the living room as more of a spacious dining room and the bedroom across the hallway as a rec room/lounge room? haha sorry again if these ideas seem a little odd. I'm really bad at envisioning rooms =P

Anyways hope that sparks more ideas for you! Best of luck!

Evan

Elements Contract Furnishings