Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hancock & Moore # 8894G Gordon Chair in Caress Parchment

Default Hancock & Moore # 8894G Gordon Chair in Caress Parchment

I rarely get surprised any more by furniture, but this chair sure did. First one of these I have ever had come through the store (special order for a customer) and I was SHOCKED at how wonderful this chair sits! I'm not kidding....probably the most comfortable non-recliner chair I've ever sat in. That extra bolster at the top of the back is oh-so-comfy. I didn't think it would be this good based on appearances....shows you 'can't judge a book by its cover'.

H&M also supplies this chair with a nice wrap-around leather enclosure (velcro closure) so you don't see the metal swivel base.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Chair1.jpg 
Views:	1213 
Size:	136.0 KB 
ID:	1390   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	chair2.jpg 
Views:	826 
Size:	123.5 KB 
ID:	1389  
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Default Re: Hancock & Moore # 8894G Gordon Chair in Caress Parchment

It was a very bold choice for someone! It does look comfortable though.

My wife just sat in one of these and was amazed at how comfortable it was. It was even priced for clear, but sadly in a Document leather.

Gatsby Guest

Love that chair!

needstuff Guest

I just took delivery of a Gordon, and for what it's worth I'd like to mention that on mine, at least, one certainly CAN see the metal base.

The "torso" of my chair ends 3" from the ground. If you're sitting on it, or standing right next to it, you can't see the base. Which is consistent with the pictures above, which were taken close up and from above. But if you are 5' away from the chair you can see the base, and if you are sitting in a chair 8' away, opposite it, you will see the base plain as day.

My chair looks just like the one pictured, or on the website, it's just that there is a distance of 3" between the chair bottom and the floor that is not evident from the pictures due to the camera angles and location. Unless my chair is unusual for some reason. That's what causes the base to become visible from a distance.

My couch has a skirt that goes to the floor, you can't see it's legs no matter where you sit. Whatever "velcro skirt" the Gordon may have, on mine at least it doesn't extend to the floor. That causes the difference.

I'm just mentioning this so that future buyers will more clearly understand what they are getting. When I got mine I actually held up delivery because I thought some kind of skirt was missing. I got the store salesperson on the phone, who verified that the floor model did not have any skirt to the floor. I do not recall noticing the base when we were in the store, but then the angle and distance one is looking at it from is the key to that.
    Last edited by needstuff; 05-29-2013 at 11:32 AM.

You will always see the base in any kind of glider or rocker, because you need clearance to go rockin' back and forth. If you build it tight to the floor, you will hit the frame when in motion. If you want low profile, order a swivel only and skip the rocker or glider mechanisms.

Your chair should have come with a leather cover to wrap the metal base, all H&M chairs that are on a round swivel base do. It slips on and attaches with velcro and improves the appearance. Contact your selling dealer if you did not get that with the chair, as they are packed with every H&M chair of that series.
    Duane Collie

needstuff Guest

So this leather cover extends from the chair to the floor, basically, to cover that 3" gap?

No, it does not. It covers the base only. Like a rubber glove on a hand. It will not cover any gaps
    Duane Collie

needstuff Guest

oh I get it, like the way they leather wrap a steering wheel, sort of.
    So one would still see the base, but it won't look like metal, it would look better.

ya, I don't have that.....
    Last edited by needstuff; 05-29-2013 at 09:47 PM.

needstuff Guest

"Contact your selling dealer if you did not get that with the chair, as they are packed with every H&M chair of that series."

Done. Their conclusion is, H&M does not supply the leather "Swivel Base Ring Cover" automatically with this chair anymore, it now has to be ordered separately, at extra charge. If I want it I have to send them a piece from that valuable extra swatch of the fabric from my chair, that is under the seat. And pay for the cover, of course.

Their salesperson was not aware of this change either, they thought it came with it and I should have received it.
    Last edited by needstuff; 05-31-2013 at 10:07 PM.