Thread: Looking for a simple dining table with bench

PeachtreeCity Guest

Smile Looking for a simple dining table with bench

Hi,

I'm new to this forum. I have been looking everywhere for a simple rectangular, large dining table. The
    legs are 4x4s. I've seen this table at those popular lifestyle mall stores, the ones with the bench on one side.
    But I am looking to find a quality table. I've been to a local mom and pop furniture store but they couldn't
    help me locate this style. I'm tempted to try to make it on my own but would rather not.

Please help! Thanks for reading.

Default Re: Looking for a simple dining table with bench

Welcome to the forum! One of the best ways to help other members get a sense of what you're looking for it to post a photo of the piece, or one similar to it. You can do it as an attachment to a thread, or simply copy a link to a website.

In the trade we call 4 x 4 lumber 16/4, and that's expensive lumber. To make a table correctly out of solids in the size leg, and probably an 6/4 top, you'll be over $ 3K, and it will be heavy! A lot of the 'mall store' tables that appear to be made of solids are not....and they use some poor quality internals in the pieces, but that keeps the price down. Read this about Pottery Barn quality for example (originally published in Smart Money magazine):

http://amelydesigns.com/PDF_Files/po...%20article.pdf

Also, benches around dining room tables look cute - as long as no one is using them. They are awkward to sit in, and both parties have to scoot in and out together when someone wants to get up. Not recommended except for a table where one side is used for decoration only.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

PeachtreeCity Guest

Smile Re: Looking for a simple dining table with bench

Thanks for the article. Glad to be staying away from those stores but I do like the simplicity of their designs so I try to find them at good quality mom and pop furniture stores.

I didn't consider the dilemma of the bench design. I thought the kids could enjoy it.

Thanks for your expertise. I may reconsider the design

Default Re: Looking for a simple dining table with bench

Probably won't find them in 'real wood' at most stores because they become expensive. I do two or three proper executions of the the Mall Tables you speak of a year for customers, but you have to be prepared to pay the tab for them! OTOH, they last forever when made right.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.