Thread: Ebay "Antiques"

organic_smallhome Guest

Default Ebay "Antiques"

I would never in a million years spend serious money (if I had serious money) on anything from ebay, but when I saw this listing, I really had to ask myself: How in the world would someone be willing to spend this much money on an "antique" without any kind of provenance whatsoever? I also wonder if antique dealers peruse ebay looking for deals?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Antique-1680-Per...8#ht_500wt_928

Default Re: Ebay "Antiques"

I don't recognize that form as period, and it appears to be WAY over-priced, especially for English. Typical Welsh Dressers were not built with a QA leg, but with an earlier period ring and vase turned leg. It may be a married piece (top and base joined from two pieces that were made apart from one another). Appears to be refinished. I'd have to do some research and see the piece in person, but the design is awkward and I doubt its worth much more than $ 2K to $ 3K.

Dealers will list pieces like that because they know buyers will call and either come in person or negotiate over the phone. Could be one of those "Buy it today and its yours for $ 9K" type of things. Who knows? Certainly at $ 18K it would normally be displayed better and a much more extensive photo set.

One thing you learn in the Antiques business is you MUST do your homework and do not rely on the seller to be accurate, or particularly honest. Sorry, but that's just the way it is.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

organic_smallhome Guest

Personally, I don't even think that's a very attractive piece. There's something "wonky"--or "awkward," as you put it--about the design.

I do try to educate myself as much as possible on the rare occasion I purchase something vintage (that's how I found out about the "Governor Winthrop" misnomer). I can't really afford real antiques, but this forum is a wonderful place to learn about them, just the same.

Trust your eyes. Let them flow over the lines of the piece. If something appears odd or 'wonky' it probably is. This piece looks out-of-balance and has no grace, which is why I think its probably 'married'. A good design is a good design! Here's a book you would really enjoy...unfortunately its out of print but you can find copies here and there for sale. I keep one in the store (in the back, they keep 'disappearing' when out front and I get tired paying $ 100 for another copy). All my period cabinentmakers have a copy on their workbench as well. We've actually created a number of replicas right out of this book. Volume II (written by the son) is better than Volume I (written by the father).

The New Fine Points of of Furniture by Albert Sack

http://www.amazon.com/New-Fine-Point.../dp/051758820X
    Duane Collie

Mahogany Bob Guest

I've always heard that antigues on ebay go very cheap relative to their actual value. They just don't show well. No matter how many great p[ictures you include of the piece there is just no substitute for seein it in person.
    Of course this also has the effect of keeping truly good dealers off of ebay. If it's not going to sell as well as in your store then why bother? A much bigger audience (if this category really worked) but willing to spend a whole lot less than you could get in your store for it.
    Anyone have the opposite experience online?
    Or even better picked up some true bargains in online antiques.

I'm still using a Duncan Phyfe sofa my mom picked up in B'more for $25 when I was a kid. Back when $25 meant something. I've reupholstered it twice myself and it had much TLC before that redoing the spring deck, refinishing the wood surfaces and many reupholterings.

I have bought two Turkish rugs off Ebay. One was terrific and a great bargain. So I decided to get another. The second one was so filthy dirty and heavily damaged (concealed by the seller) that it cured me of ever buying a third rug off EBAY. The seller of the second rug refused to take it back, claiming it was fairly represented and I didn't examine the photos closely enough (how do you pick up pet urine saturation in a photograph?). Suffice to say "Buyer Beware".
    Duane Collie

Mahogany Bob Guest

I hope he didn't charge you extra for the "antiquing" effect. Usually eBay slants more toward the buyer in a dispute, they are really difficult to get a hold of anybody though when something goes wrong. I'm surprised they would let someone off with such a gross misrepresntation though. But hey I've caught my buyers dead to rights with an eBay terms of service violation but their "customer service" doesn't care. I think it's really just a bot they own for "customer service" anyway.