Thread: New Guy

///Malcontent Guest

Default New Guy

Hi all,

I've known Duane for a number of years since serving on the BMW CCA National Capitol Chapter board and through BMW and motorcycle on-line forums. I know his expertise in furniture is second to none.

I'm hoping to get a little help here. I have some antique pieces I'd like to sell but have no idea what they're worth. Is there an "Antiques Roadshow" section?

Jim

Hey Jim, glad to have you here! What kind of antiques you have? Lets see a few photos, or descriptions. If they're valuable, then you're in the right place (New York City) to auction them off. First we have to figure out what you have.....
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

///Malcontent Guest

Good to be here Duane. I know you're "the guy" when it comes to fine furniture.

I'll post some pictures when I get home but I have:

- Secretary/writing desk with double-curved drawer fronts.
    - Victrola electric phonograph. Not working.
    - Large mirror-back vanity. Unfortunately, probably the most valuable
    piece of which, the large mirror, has cracked in half.

None are in stellar condition. The secretary is probably in good condition, the Victrola is fair-good and the vanity is fair, with the exception of the cracked mirror.

Jim

///Malcontent Guest

I'm not sure this is the right place for this thread but here goes.

Secretary

///Malcontent Guest

Victrola

///Malcontent Guest

Vanity

OK Jim, here goes.....(You won't like this but...)

* The cracked mirror is just trash. Toss it or see if you can find a buyer for broken mirror glass. Perhaps call Surey at Classic Lighting in CT, he might buy it but you won't get much for it. The piece that goes with it has no value to speak of.

* The Secretary is machine made, not particularly a desirable form. Mahogany. Probably late 1800's to early 1900's. Value as an antique or collectible is nil. Sorry. Use it or consign to a second hand furniture store. Might bring you $ 600 to $ 900 in a consignment shop but probably not much more. Try Craigslist (after you clean it up and wax it) and you might be able to fetch $ 1,500 if you patient for the right buyer and do a lot of ad renewals.

* Stick that Victrola on Fleabay. Let the collectors have at it and they will bid it to market value. Start the bid low (under $ 100) and let it fly...see what happens!
    Duane Collie

///Malcontent Guest

Default Thanks Duane

I have no real attachment to the pieces and wasn't thinking any were especially valuable. To get approximately $1000 for all of it would be gravy to me.

Jim

I think that's entirely doable, Jim. Run some ads on Craigslist in NYC and just keep repeating them. Someone will take a fancy to them.
    Duane Collie