Thread: Hancock & Moore Sundance Sectional in Kipling Cognac

Hybrid View

Default Hancock & Moore Sundance Sectional in Kipling Cognac

This is why this is my favorite all-time sectional, look at how handsome this piece is when viewed from the back! Most sectionals are flat-paneled, with vertical seams every 24". Not this one, its fully detailed and makes a statement. Its in a class by itself.

Deep and roomy, has a slight curve on each piece from the corner out (in the front). Shown in Kipling, a GR 2 hide. This is a 2-piece sectional, with the 'corner' integrated into each main section. Heavy, and needs good egress to get in the home.

That's the H&M # 079 Robinson Ottoman in matching leather in front.

Shown in my customer's home, she tells me this is a favorite piece and well-loved by all in the family.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sundanceback.jpg 
Views:	5289 
Size:	101.5 KB 
ID:	1415   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sundance3.jpg 
Views:	4549 
Size:	129.2 KB 
ID:	1414   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sundance2.jpg 
Views:	6664 
Size:	129.4 KB 
ID:	1413  
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

aluebcke Guest

Default Re: Hancock & Moore Sundance Sectional in Kipling Cognac

Hi,
    Quick question for you: I love this sectional, but it seems to have a smaller inside depth than the couch. H&M's website lists the inside depth of the sofa at 24" but the sectional at only 19.5". Do you know if this is correct?

Any other couches or sectionals you'd recommend with an equally nice back view? We have an open concept, and look from the kitchen at the back of our sofa. Inside depth must be at least 23".

I've now narrowed down our options to the following five (not in any particular order):
    1. 4192 Settlement sofa (love the size, but it may be too big for guests. Also, not sure we can afford both the sofa and loveseat, if a loveseat is even available)
    2. 9749 September sofa (like the look, but not sure if the inside width is large enough)
    3. 5261 Rugby sofa (smallest inside depth of the ones we're considering, at 23", but nice width)
    4. 5010 Highlands sofa (like the 101" overall width, and 24" deep inside)
    5. 4717 Sundance sofa (my personal favorite...it's beautiful from all sides, and had a great inside length and depth)

Any thoughts on these in terms of comfort and how they sit? We're tall (husband is 6'7" and I'm 6') but we have guests of more "normal" height over often. Our current sofa has a 22" depth, and we've gotten used to it over 15 years, but we'd like the new one to be a little deeper.

Looks are very important, but it must be very comfortable or my husband will veto.

I've called some local (within 1.5 hour drive) furniture stores and have only found the September sofa in stock....we'll definitely try it out, but are hoping to find the other four somewhere within driving distance. It's scary to purchase from pictures only, although we've done it in the past (after much research).

Read your post on local vs online.....but our local stores are at least $400 more per sofa (even after considering delivery). And you seem to provide great customer service...and your reviews from happy customers inspire confidence.

Thanks for all your help so far.

Amanda

Matthew Guest

The depth measurement is at it's shallowest spot (which is the very center - the curved part). It is deeper in the "sofa" sections.

While that measurement may seem tight on the Sundance Sectional, I can assure you it has a 'big' feel to it, and since it is curved the actual dimension will vary on it. One of our forum members recently just received his (AZJOE) so perhaps he can weigh in on the depths. That is a unique piece, and currently nothing else in the line from H&M, or from anyone I know of - will have that same dramatic look from the back. H&M is working on some new sectionals for the October Market that are in mock-up right now, and some of those will feature a fully-finished back if they decide to continue past the prototypes I saw at the factory. Personally I'd not buy a sofa or sectional based solely on published specs, as they so many other factors come into play for the overall fit and comfort. With your husband at 6' 7" and you at 6' 0", you might want to consider having the depth altered on the Sundance Sectional. It can be customized and you can add inches into the depth as much as you like. However you really would want to try a standard model first if at all possible as a baseline to avoid an expensive customization mistake. Better to customize and get what you want that is comfortable, rather than make do with something you're not really happy with. What part of the country are you located?
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

aluebcke Guest

Thanks Duane.

We're in Michigan (Stevensville, in the Southwest part of the state).

You also responded to my post on layout...I don't think the sectional will work. But I'm still trying to figure it out.

I'm having trouble finding much stock within 1.5 hours. Any ideas? Perhaps a dealer in Chicago that you know is large.

Thanks,
    Amanda

aluebcke Guest

Hi,
    I found a furniture store with the Sundance in stock, in the promotional leather. Pictures do not do the sofa justice....it's gorgeous! I also found it to be very comfortable, and a good size for my tall frame (6' tall). But I did not like the look of the leather....too much pebble texture and felt a little stiff.

We tried out all the other leather furniture in the store, for comparsion, but nothing was as comfortable or seemed as well made as the H&M.

We started to look at the H&M leathers (my daughter and I) when the power went out. So, we didn't get a chance to sift through all the choices....but I got a feel for the colors. Definitely want something that is very soft, with some color variation. I want it to look like leather, with the imperfections real leather has. Medium to dark brown. My daughter picked a Class V....and wouldn't look at anything else. Definitely out of our budget, though. But the kid has good taste.

I asked a few questions about H&M, but the sales person was not very knowledgeable. From the forum, I know more about H&M and leather than she did. Thanks Duane!!!

So, a few questions for Duane:
    - Duane, can you please give me a price for the 4717 and 4716? In both class 2 and class 3. I won't need the down wrapped cushions....the standard are very comfortable, and I don't want the leather to look "puddled". I currently have a couch with a hard back, and large cushions....and am so tired of straightening the cushions at least 2x/day.
    - What would approximate shipping be to Stevensville, MI 49127? For one 4716 and one 4717.
    - How do you handle the deposit and final payment? I think I saw in one of the posts that credit cards are a 3% upcharge....I can pay via check or wire transfer (prefer to get the lower price for cash).
    - Also, please give me a price for the 072 Campaign Cocktail Ottoman in Class 2. Not sure what leather yet...but would do a contrasting color to the sofa.
    - The sofa back will face the kitchen, and be the focal point. But the smaller 4716 would be against a wall. Will this work okay? I hate to pay the extra for the finished back, but am not sure what else I'd get with the 4717. Any suggestions would be appreciated. (My current layout is in thread):

http://www.myfurnitureforum.com/show...ghlight=layout

I'm now working on my husband to see if we can order in August....I don't think I can wait until Feb next year.

Thanks
    Amanda