Thread: Kincaid

jjohnson Guest

Default Kincaid

Hi, I am new this forum and furniture buying in general. After 9 years of apt living, my husband and I moved into a townhouse last summer with a 2-seater Ikea sofa and armchair. We are content getting furniture slowly and plan to keep our living room empty for now but with a 2yr old and twins on the way feel the need to finally add more seating to our family room so we can actually have people over more comfortably. We have a small family room but really want to maximize seating so intend to purchase a 3-cushion couch, love seat, and smaller arm chair w/ottoman. We don't have a huge budget, but after much searching finally found some Kincaid furniture (Custom Select line) that we like and can afford IF we buy online through a discounter. However, I have trouble finding many reviews on Kincaid products and would like opinions on the brand. With the impending arrival of the twins, we are hoping to make a purchase soon.

Anything else we should consider? How does Kincaid compare to Clayton Marcus (which we actually haven't seen yet) or Rowe? Thanks!

Default Re: Kincaid

Welcome to the forum!

Kincaid is a La-Z-Boy company (don't hold that against them too much) and is mid-level, mainstream upholstery. Frames are engineered plywood (they say 'Hardwood Laminate', but that's a fancy name for plywood) so you won't get the torsional stiffness of a solid wood frame, but it won't cost as much, either. If you like the styles, and it fits your budget requirements, then I think you'll see it a marked step-up from the Ikea that you now have. Clayton Marcus and Rowe are constructed in similar fashion.

Good luck!
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

jjohnson Guest

Thank you! I have read some of your posts on what to be aware of when ordering from an internet/out of state dealer which have been helpful. Do you know anything about Elite Interiors or their reputation?

Elite Interiors is a small store in Myrtle Beach that also operates under another name like Sea Coast Interiors (not sure, exactly). They have a OK reputation from customers as far as I know. Their BBB rating is A +. Details of their BBB complaint history here:

http://www.bbb.org/myrtle-beach/busi...ch-sc-10002814

They price very aggressively. As with any long distance operation, be sure to pay via credit cards for all your purchases. You have limited consumer protection using a credit card should the store fail to deliver the goods, etc.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

jjohnson Guest

Thanks once again!