Thread: Anyone familiar with the Grainger Tiltback?

dustinh Guest

Default Anyone familiar with the Grainger Tiltback?

I finally was able to try the tiltback chair my wife and I were planing on ordering (Mcintire 2052), and it just wasn't as comfortable as we were hoping. Like many HM shoppers, we wanted something at least close to the Austin highback comfort, but a little nicer looking. The 2052 looked sharp and wasn't uncomfortable, but didn't quite get us where we wanted to be comfor-wise, especially for a TB chair.

So now we're looking for feedback on the Grainger TB chair and ottoman, and would appreciate any comments anyone has on it. We like the look well enough, but have two comfort concerns:

1) Member cuse69 reported that the back angle is steeper than he expected even in full upright. I read on here that the Grainger is an updated Austin, and find the Austin angle to be pleasant enough in full upright. Duane, do you if the Austin frame was tweaked so much that the back angle was changed in the Grainger? Larry, did you also try the Austin high back before picking the Grainger, and feel they sat differently. Is the Grainger really comfortable for TV watching, and only a problem when you want to sit up real straight? Would love to hear your thoughts on this (or anyone else that has familiarity with this chair)
    2). The back height is 2.5" shorter than both the Austin and Mcintire, which were perfect height for me at 6'1". Duane, can the seat back be made a couple inches taller on the Grainger and approximately how much does a customization like that cost?

Thanks everyone for any help and advice.
    Last edited by dustinh; 08-29-2010 at 05:14 PM.

Default Re: Anyone familiar with the Grainger Tiltback?

I've not had a Grainger series come through the store recently, so I can't really comment on how well it compares to the Austin High Back in back angles. I can tell you Dustin, that no chair I have ever sat in is as comfy as the 2038NB. Nothing.... and I've sat in a LOT of chairs in 25 years. Granted, its not going to win any styling awards, but after a hard day at work, your body doesn't care if it has a 'T-Cushion' and a pair of Bustles. Personally, I'd stay with the 2038NB as nothing else in the line sits quite as good....

I'm sure they could make the back taller, but its going to be costly. New frame, new spring layout, new patterns for a leather cut, custom core sizes - its basically like building a new chair model. I would estimate it would cost about $ 800 to add a couple inches in height on the back, but I can run the request through if you like (takes a couple days to hear back).
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Let me start by saying I agree with Duane on the Austin being the most comfortable of the H&M line. That being said we owned a non-bustle back Austin tilt back and ottoman which we sold prior to buying the Grainger TB. I have also sat in the bustle back Austin model on many occasions. Due to the styling issue (my wife does not prefer the t-cushions) we decided on the Grainger, as a bit sized down Austin without T-cushions.. I had not had an opportunity to actually test the Grainger. My disappointment comes mainly from the back angle which seems to be less upright in the full upright position. This makes reading a bit less comfortable. For TV watching it's OK but at times even then I prefer the ability to move the set back more upright than is possible with this model. I am 6' 2" and the back height is fine. This might be due to the back angle which will cause you to slide a bit forward in the seat. One other point is the T-cushion on the Austin actually gives the seat a larger feel as it opens up a bit vs. the Grainger. If you are going with a bustle back TB then I would absolutely recommend the Austin high back model and wish we had purchased it instead of the Grainger.

Larry

dustinh Guest

Duane and Larry, thank you for your responses and suggestions. That's good news that I wouldn't need to raise the back height, but it sounds like that doesn't matter because the Austin is the comfort choice by far. Darn, I was rooting for that Grainger. Thanks again for your advice.