Thread: Oval Office Redecorated

Default Oval Office Redecorated

I can't identify the maker of the sofas, but they're definitely transitional style.

http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2...er=rss&emc=rss
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Default Re: Oval Office Redecorated

At least he kept the Resolute Desk. The rest of the room looks like a "before" not "after".

elementscf Guest

Haha yeah. I'm not sure but I think I read in an article that the couches were from a custom place in NY. I'm really curious but I can't seem to find their name anywhere. Maybe they didn't want to disclose it because of the wide range of people critiquing it? haha I guess it just depends on personal taste.

Evan

Elements Contract Furnishings

I'm not wild about it myself. The Oval Office represents America, and is the ONE place that should have some of America's finest time-honored designs in it. Skirted Transitional sofas with a funky coffee table aren't it. Then again, it is his office, so he has to like where he works.

I'd have a pair of leather Sundance Sofas in there, from H&M <g> - and a Goddard -Townsend Secretary if I could find someone to loan me theirs during my office term (there are only 9 of them, worth $ 12 mil - give or take ):

http://www.christies.com/features/gu...e/regions.aspx

Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

I'm pretty sure you would get the loan - it would likely appreciate 20% or more by virtue of the added history.

This would be an interesting couch to add to the mix. Maybe two of them, with the Resolute Desk in the middle?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	i4MarianiFurniture1.jpg 
Views:	302 
Size:	20.7 KB 
ID:	1469  

organic_smallhome Guest

I guess I'm the odd person out here. I think it's tasteful, simple and refined.

It's not that it isn't tasteful - I would take any of those pieces for my home, except the coffee table (but we can't agree on everything)... and the couches aren't to my taste, so it would have to be a really good deal. (I just reviewed some Oval Office pictures and, I have to say, Obama's sofa isn't really any worse than the selections of most of his recent predecessors.) But just as keeping and using the Resolute Desk reflects a sense of the design and history of the room, I would be inclined to decorate accordingly. (The Obama's have a more modern feel, G.W. had something of a "1950's formal living room" feel...) As for Duane, he is a connoisseur of period furniture. As for why Duane would recommend the Sundance couch? It's a showpiece from the front and back, and brings together a lot of elements of history into its more modern form.

(I wasn't serious about the semi-circular couch. )

Riddle Guest

Joni at the Cote de Texas blog wrote a nice summary with photos of the Oval Office from Eisenhower forward. I love the Resolute desk, but some of the other choices over the years have been questionable. Ford's peach and blue rug and Clinton's candy cane striped sofas are high on my list of things that might have been better in different venues.

Trivia: Jimmy Carter was the only President after Eisenhower who who didn't redecorate.

http://cotedetexas.blogspot.com/2010_09_02_archive.html