Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chair style help

nhpinnacles Guest

Default Chair style help

Hi Duane,

I am trying to find a recliner style that would work well with my two Austin High Backs #2038 . I will be using a combination of leather and fabric but am stuck on the right style of chair to use. I already have two ottomans so a recliner or other comfortable chair is what I am looking for. I love the Ball and Claw look but I am not sure if they would work with the Austins. Any suggestions ?

Thanks Susan

Default Re: Chair style help

Hi Susan,

I'm going to fall back on two of my favorites, the H&M # 1044 Sadler and the # 7017 Miller. Either of those will give you the comfort you're enjoying with the Austin High Backs, and be size-appropriate. The Ball and Claw Recliners will work as well but they may be a smidge less in the 'comfort' department and fight just a tad more on style with the Austins.

See how those look and we can explore more styles if you like
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

nhpinnacles Guest

Thanks Duane,

The Sadler was one I have been looking at too but even in that one I had preferred the the style of the #1405 can the Ball and Claw leg be put on the #1044?

Got a call into H&M, I'll post back here as soon as I find out. I suspect that the leg is too large in width to go on the recliner, but maybe not!
    Duane Collie

Hi Susan,

H&M can use the Ball and Claw leg off the # 1023 Chair and put it on the # 1044 Sadler Recliner as a custom. $ 150 upcharge.
    Duane Collie

nhpinnacles Guest

Thanks for checking on the leg change for me. Here are my three contenders

H & M Sadler #1044 with ball & claw leg , do you think this change would work with the chair shape?

H & M Sterling Tuffted #1013 I like the look of this chair but am unsure of its comfort do you know how it sits?

T.K. Nirvana #517 I wondered if T.K would be a better given the amount of fabric I want to use.

My plan is to use a C.O.M fabric on the seat & back cushion, leather for the inside of the wing, the arms, the front panel and the foot rest and a second C.O.M fabric for the side panels, back & outside wing sections .

I would like the chair to be comfortable for sitting in a non-recline position as well. Would any one of these three be better suited for what I am looking for?

Many thanks once again Susan

Glad to, Susan.

Yes, I think the Ball and Claw leg will work fine on the # 1044. As you know they offer it standard on a stationary version of the chair ( # 1405)

# 1013 won't be anywhere near as comfortable (for most folks) as the Sadler. Back is much firmer and the wings more confining. The Sadler is pretty tough to beat in the comfort department.

I'm not totally sold on Taylor King Recliners. I've not tried out the # 517. So far, I'm giving them an "O.K." but I need to have more of them cycle through the store. A few of that I've seen have some odd angles to them, that make them awkward to sit in. Overall, I have to give the nod to H&M for consistently building comfort into all their frames. Its a better line to order 'blind' without sitting in the chairs, less surprises with H&M.

Your highest wear area on a recliner is the front edge of the seat cushion, and the headrest and tops of the arms most likely to get soiled and stained. I'd suggest you use leather on all inside contact surfaces for longevity, OR get enough additional fabric to be able to recover the seat cushion in 5 years. Fabric is great on the outside panels, but leather on all inside panels and cushion covers might make more sense for longevity and easy cleanup. Just an FYI.

I have the # 1044 Sadler at home as my personal chair, everyone in the family likes it and it sits well when not reclined. I'm a little biased towards that model... !
    Duane Collie

nhpinnacles Guest

I have gone back and forth soooo many times about using fabric on a recliner I know it is not the smartest decision. The problem is the back of the chair faces the wall so my pretty fabric that I have searched so long for would be lost. If this chair was going to get everyday use I would not use the fabric but it is really just for decorative and occasional use. Could you PM me a quote for the sadler 1044 with the leg change using the COM fabrics and both a grade 2 & 3 leather. Also I will need to know how much yardage of each fabric will be needed.

Do you think I would have this chair by Christmas considering the fabrics will take a good few weeks from when I order them to arrive? I have tried sending this message twice & it just disappeared both times I hope I am not sending you multiple messages!

Hi Susan,

OK, we'll need 4.5 Yards of material for the seat and back cushion, and 5 yards of the material to be used on the outside. That assumes 54" Plain (no repeat). If you have up to a 6" repeat, then 10% more should suffice. Waiting on a price quote from them, I'm trying to save you a little money off just quoting as if in all leather....lets see what they come back with. Ready by Xmas should be doable if you can source the fabric relatively quickly.

No PM's from you showed up.....are you pressing all the right buttons?
    Duane Collie

nhpinnacles Guest

I saw a leather on the H & M website under Patterns/Embossed named Mosaic Toffee other than it being a class 5 there is no other information and my local dealer does not have a sample. The pattern looks like something I may be able to use, do you have a sample that would give other details? Its hard to tell from an online picture but this would be for my other recliner in the same room as the chairs with the Capri Butternut on them. Thanks Susan