Thread: How to sell Kittinger Desk

scgrieve Guest

Default How to sell Kittinger Desk

I'm new to this forum, so I apologize if this is the wrong location for this question, but I would appreciate any help anyone can give. We've had a mahogany Kittinger Desk for about 10 years that was given to my husband, and until we were ready to get rid of it we didn't know anything about its value. Now we don't have room for it and would like to find a buyer but are having difficulty figuring out where to go. We don't know how old it is because when we contacted the company they said that ownership changed in the 1990s and they don't have any records from before that. All we know is that it was used in a lawyer's office in Iowa and was part of a matching pair of desks--we think it might be from the 1920s? Can anyone help with any information about the desk and how we find a buyer? Thanks!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2632.jpg 
Views:	448 
Size:	220.1 KB 
ID:	1513   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2621.jpg 
Views:	1190 
Size:	190.8 KB 
ID:	1514  

Default Re: How to sell Kittinger Desk

That's certainly and old school Kittinger Desk! It appears very deep, but somewhat narrow across the seating area, what are the dimensions of the 'kneehole'? There's a definite market for used Kittinger pieces, but if its narrow where the desk chair goes then that will limit it appeal to many (Desk chairs have grown considerably in width since that desk was made). It needs refinishing as well.

This company specializes in selling and restoring Kittinger pieces, I'm sure they can tell you better than I what your piece is worth, and they would probably buy it from you as well.

www.elmwoodcompany.com

If I were to wager a guess (and its just a guess), I'd say the desk is probably worth about $ 800 to $ 1,500 as it now sits, and perhaps $ 3,000 - $ 4,000 when fully restored to 'as new' condition, depending again on overall size, etc.

Good luck!
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

scgrieve Guest

The overall desk dimensions are 60" long by 30" wide; the kneehole is 21.5" wide by 24" high, so probably smaller than the models they make today. The right hand cabinet has an interesting platform on a spring that we think probably held a typewriter; it pops up to be level with the desk, then pushes back down so the typewriter can fit back into the cabinet. We contacted the Elmwood company a couple of months ago and were told they would check with their buyer and would get back to us. We've heard nothing since, so I imagine they aren't interested. Any suggestions for getting them interested, or any other resources/dealers who might be interested in this thing? We've tried Craig's list in some of the major cities around us and have had no interest. We're getting close to donating it to Goodwill and deducting the value! Thanks for your helpful suggestions.

Yes, that 21.5" width is definitely limiting, and really knocks down the marketability of the piece.

Pop an ad here on the forum for Members, and other than that try EBAY? I would think you could sell it for more than a $ 100 Goodwill charity write off. What part of the country are you located in?
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.