Thread: Customer of the Day

Default Customer of the Day

3 p.m. today:

A woman comes in today and asks me "Do you have any chairs that convert into a sleeper?" after looking around at the Hancock and Moore and the Taylor King upholstery.

I tell her "I don't have anything on the floor but they are available in the catalogs." She asks "Can I see what all you have available?"

So we pull out all the books. I find the five or six in Taylor King and show her those, the few in Hancock and Moore, and the Ottoman in Jessica Charles, as well as one by Southwood. After about 20 minutes of going over the various pieces as she looks at the styles.

I say "That's about it, are you thinking leather or fabric upholstery?"

She says, "Well, I have cats and they shred everything. So I don't want leather, and I don't want fabric, either."

Puzzled, I ask her "If you don't want leather, and you don't want fabric, there's really nothing else to put on upholstered furniture, is there?"

She says, "I think I'll look for a sleeper made of solid wood. The cats can't damage that."

I quip: "We call that a bed."
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Default Re: Customer of the Day

My "favorite customer" story is shorter. When I was an undergrad and managed a deli a woman looked over the meat on display in our deli case then, in all earnestness, asked, "Is your ham kosher?"

(If you have to ask....)

Riddle Guest

Thumbs up Re: Customer of the Day

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    She says, "I think I'll look for a sleeper made of solid wood. The cats can't damage that."
    I love your come-back.

She may be surprised. The only furniture my long deceased, beloved Tinkerbell ever damaged was the center dingbat (don't know what to call it) on my wooden headboard. She just loved to chew on it. It didn't matter that her teeth were cleaned regularly, that she was well-fed, had plenty of toys, etc. Some cats just have a wicked sense of humor.