Thread: Advice needed on sofa/chairs for great room

hmbgal1 Guest

Default Advice needed on sofa/chairs for great room

I am a newbie to this forum. I've read a lot of the posts, tho, and it seems like details are asked on usage, etc. I hope I don't give too much.

We need to replace our sofa/loveseat in our great room. This is our main living space in our home. We use it to watch TV, hang out with friends, and have dinner when lots of family/friends are over. The room is 25' long by 20'wide. We do not have a formal dining room so we split the usage of this room in half. The fireplace is the focal point whether watching TV (flat panel hidden behind wooden panel) or hanging with others. We have natural knotty pine beamed ceilings, light oak flooring, oak mantelpiece. cherry end tables/dining table, and a oriental rug with dark blue in background & tan/gold, rose, sage green in the patterns. Everything else is up for changing. And we like casual -- not formal feel.

In replacing our sofa/loveseat, we want to maximize seating for watching movies but it will also be used for conversations with friends/family. Think we need a bigger home but that's not an option!

We are thinking of getting a sofa & two chairs - probably H&M Austin High-back sofa as my husband is 6'1" and likes the head support. As for the two chairs, not sure yet. I'm not keen on looks of the bustle back (prefer regular pillows) but have agreed to this as its very comfortable. I'm 5'8" so it doesn't feel too big.

Here's our questions:
    1. Should we do the same leather and same color for all pieces or leather & fabric? Thinking all leather but not sure if I like the idea of all the same color. We like Buckingham Walnut Burnished (kind of golden color).

2. Is it best to have the same style of chairs? Recliner and regular chair/ottoman or two recliners.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_9549.JPG 
Views:	533 
Size:	36.4 KB 
ID:	1523   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_9548.JPG 
Views:	472 
Size:	38.7 KB 
ID:	1524  

Default Re: Advice needed on sofa/chairs for great room

I think the Buckingham Walnut Burnished would be a good leather choice, also the Weston Cane Burnished...either one. Would harmonize nicely in the room.

I don't see an Austin series in the room (from a design standpoint). Your sofa floats in the middle of the room and becomes a main focal point for the room. As much as I love the comfort of the Austin High Back I want to see something a little jazzier in there. My first pick would be to consider the H&M Sundance sofa, with its beautifully tailored back. Here's a link of one I have in my store so you can see what the back/sides look like:

http://www.myfurnitureforum.com/show...uggage-Russett

I think I'd stay with the loveseat as well, you're going to have to 'line up' two chairs side-by-side otherwise. Certainly do-able if that's the way you'd like to go. I'd replace the coffee table with a large, leather tufted ottoman, which will give you an excellent spot to stretch out on when watching TV.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

hmbgal1 Guest

Thanks for the suggestion. The Sundance is beautiful. It only comes in a sofa, no loveseat -- well two. One that is 110" and one that is 84". 110 is way too big.

Love the leather option. Will look at it in a store.

hmbgal1 Guest

We have gotten a bit nervous about the burnished leathers. They seem to have so much variability in finish. Sometimes really dark, sometimes not. We liked the burnished because of the depth provided by it. Now thinking a two tone leather might be more representative of the actual sample. We were contemplating capri (butternut or harness), Aspen (saddle), Pecos Oak, or even the Kippling (whiskey or saddle). The colors are based on viewing on computer right now so we are not set on those. Any suggestions or thoughts on leather groups we should look at? Have you seen any of these? We don't want too orange nor too dark of brown.

Burnished leathers are a leap of faith, you're buying an 'artistic' hide, that is toned by hand after the piece is fully assembled, and is absolutely and most definitely going to vary from piece to piece. Samples don't do burnished leathers justice, because there are no folds, crevices, creases, and tufts to 'catch' the toner coats. Its like biting into a chocolate from a Whitman's Sampler....you don't know what you're going to get but its usually good. I happen to really like burnished leathers, but I buy cars over the internet, too....and my wife thinks I'm nuts to do that!

Capri is a wonderful leather, one of the finest (Butternut is my personal favorite color), Aspen is a big drop from Capri, but durable and serviceable if a bit homogenized, and Kipling nicely splits the difference between the two. I've seen all of them and sold all of them many times. Don't buy off the web site however, you really have to have swatch samples. If you need some, just PM (Private Message) me with your name and address and I can have them mailed out.
    Duane Collie

Let me echo Duane's warning about selecting leather from the H&M or any other website. It is a disaster in the making. We once selected 6 leathers that we were interested in based on the H&M site. We sent for samples and found not a single one was even close to what we expected from viewing the web. So go through the extra step and get some real samples in your hand, and if you are very particular ask for a cutting for approval once you make a decision and place an order. H&M will actually hold the hides selected for your order while they send a sample cutting for your approval. Duane can explain the process if you are interested in this service (usually at no charge).

Larry

hmbgal1 Guest

Thanks both of you. This forum is awesome. Wished we lived closer to your store.

We used the web to narrow down options we should look at. I looked at samples in the store, brought them home, and we are going with the Kipling Saddle - which wasn't an option we had chosen via the web. I like the burnished leathers but too many unknowns. It's a bit like commissioning an artist to do a painting but not seeing what the artist's work is like beforehand.

Now just to decide on which sofa. My husband wants comfort and wants both Miller Bustle back lounger and Austin High Back. The lounger I'm fine with. It's the High Back Austin that I don't like. Too many bustles and too high. This may be a battle that I give in unless I can find another sofa that is comfortable for him.

Kipling Saddle is a great hide, you won't regret that.

If you want comfort and don't want the look of the Austin High Back, then check out the Kodiak and the Journey sofas. I find them to be right on par with the Austin High Back for comfort and they have a bit more style. Either will go well with the Miller Recliner (the Journey series has its own recliner which is every bit as comfy as the Miller).

I can ship nationwide, btw...just PM me for a price quote if interested. Thanks.
    Duane Collie