Thread: Where to Buy New Sofa Cores

deborah Guest

Default Where to Buy New Sofa Cores

Hi,

I have a piece of junk furniture from Jordans (a sofa). It is a Klaussner. I have only had it for 2 years and the cushions are like pancakes and has become really uncomfortable to sit in. I am trying to keep it for another couple of 2-3 years and want to try and replace the cushion cores. I don't really know how to go about this. Is it possible to buy new foam cores for this sofa? I know I have seen a couple of places online where you can buy foam but I cant seem to locate it and not sure if it is advised or not.

By the way, I just sprung for a new Lee Sofa for another room and I love it. I would never buy another inexpensive piece of furniture again.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Default Re: where to buy new sofa cores

A good core such as that found in premium upholstery is custom made, and more than just a chunk of foam. As such, they are size specific and run about $ 150 per seat. Assuming yours is a 3-cushion, are you willing to put $ 450 into an inexpensive sofa? If so, the best bet is to get measurements of your existing casings (height x width x depth) and be as accurate as possible. Then order them from a company like Hancock and Moore through a dealer. Part of the problem is probably your spring grid failing as well, so get extra firm cores, not standard density. Personally, I don't believe in pouring good money after bad so I'd probably not go this route.

Option 2 is go to a craft or sewing store, and buy some bunting/wrap and do it yourself. Wrap your existing cores, or have a local upholstery business do it for you. Just wrapping your cores will be less expensive (go for high density foam in the wrap) and might buy you a couple more years.

Pretty much you are spot - on the money. Inexpensive furniture has quick break-down rates and over the long run costs more as you are constantly replacing it. Your new Lee sofa will give you MUCH better service than the Klaussner.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

deborah Guest

Duane,

Thanks for your professional advice. I agree I don't think it is worth the money to spend that much on a sofa that will probably not last that long. What is your opinion on sites like efoamstore.com? You can send in your measurements. I have not priced out the size I would need. Unfortunately it's a sectional so I need 5 seats. The craft/sewing store may be a better option for me. I'm pretty handy.

I just got my new Lee and specifically sought out a store that worked with them. This is my second Lee and the first one lasted 15 years and the only reason I replaced it was them fabric was worn. Well worth the extra money to buy a well manufactured piece. What other manufacturers would you say turns out quality upholstery? When I replace this piece of junk in a couple years I will definitely be looking for a better piece. Since I just bought this Lee I need to space out another pricey purchase

Thanks for your advice. I do appreciate it.

Riddle Guest

You might also check to see if there's a local store that carries foam and upholstery supplies for boats and RVs. They sometimes have batting and such for less than stores that are more oriented toward sewing and crafts.

Obviously I tend to like the brands I carry as lines in my store (else I'd not carry them!). For fabric sofas, I'm liking Hancock and Moore and Taylor King, as well as Councill's the best. They do it right.
    Duane Collie

deborah Guest

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    Obviously I tend to like the brands I carry as lines in my store (else I'd not carry them!). For fabric sofas, I'm liking Hancock and Moore and Taylor King, as well as Councill's the best. They do it right.
    Your store sounds great. Unfortunately in New England (I live in NH close to the massachusetts border) Its not easy to find quality furniture stores. I guess I could just call around and see who carries those brands. Ofcourse I could probably order direct from the manufacturer? But I need to sit on a piece before I buy it. Thanks for the info I'll do some reesearch about stores that carry those brands in my area.

Default Re: Where to Buy New Sofa Cores

You definitely have stores in your area that carry better furniture, I'm up in your part of the country quite often. Cabot House comes to mind, though I don't know how much product they floor. With the premium lines, you can't order direct from them, sorry!
    Duane Collie